Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Stonefly Nymph Swap

Default Sierra Stonefly Nymph Swap

Swap is Full...

Who's up for swapping a favorite stonefly nymph pattern? This will be a relatively quick one. Send me an e-mail (stevenojai@aol.com) or reply on this Forum by Oct. 10th. Flies will need to be sent in by Oct 31st and you'll receive yours back by Nov 15th. Photos will be taken of all flies and posted to Bill's Gallery.
    Thanks,
    Steve Schalla

Participants (as of Oct. 10th)
    1.David Lee : Black Rubberleg Stone
    2. Darian : Bird's Brown Stonefly
    3. StevenOjai : Riffle Dragon Stone
    4. Ueyama: Wired Stone
    5. Eric : Peacock Bodied Stonefly
    6. Bill Hammons : Beadhead Golden Stone
    7. Dean Endress : Yuba Stone
    8. Mountain Man - Nielsen Stonefly
    9. Chris May - Woven Yarn Golden Stone
    10. Gregg Machel : Poxyback Golden Stone

10 is the limit. I promised Dean no Mega-swaps
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com

Hey Steve - I'm down for it .

#6 Black Rubberleg Stone

David

Default Stoneflies, Stoneflies, Stoneflies!!!!

Hey Steve,.... Sounds like a good one. I'm in. How about a Bird's Grey Stonefly. Size 6.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default A little addition...

I'm working on this stonefly pattern. It uses scudback material for the top and bottom of the abdomen. I can dub between the scudback layers and tease the fibers from the side. This gives the appearance of small appendages yet keeps the abdomen sleek and streamline for a quick descent. The bottom scudback is clear so that the contrasting dub color will show through. A monofilament strand provides the segmentation ribbing. So just want to let you know that I'm putting one of these in each participants package. Give me your feedback for some future tweaking.
    Thanks Steve

Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras

Count me in if there is still room!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

If I'm not too late, I'll be doing the: Bead Head Epoxy Biot Golden Stone
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Default Some Thorax ideas...

Gregg, you made it in!!
    Here's a couple of thorax variations on the Stonefly I'm playing with. One utilizes rubberlegs for the legs with Swiss Straw for the wingcase and the other uses a partridge feather for legs with Swiss Straw/Scud Back for the wingcase. I think I'm leaning towards the partridge legs. Delicate and flowing.
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras

Default Stoneflies....

Hi Steve,..... Your designs are cool. Of the two, I kinda like the one with the rubber legs best. Most of the Stonefly nymphs I've seen aren't delicate....

My .02
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Sierra Stone Flies....

Hey Steve,.... The flies are in the mail this afternoon..... Sent 10 flies so you won't have to return one to me. Included toe tags, a pattern description with summarized instructions and return postage.

Tried to be true to the original pattern, but, I suppose that this pattern should be called a variant of the Bird's Stonefly Nymph as it incorporates materials that weren't available to the originator. For example, Antron blend and flashabou weren't on the market when this fly was developed.

Author unknown

Quick question regarding the "WIRED STONE" that I am tying.... I will be using roughly the same materials suggested by the recipe... but was thinking of adding more to the fly. I am thinking of adding additional wings and an epoxy backing.... similiar to Mercer's yellow stone. Let me know if I should add....

Thanks... Mike