Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sierra Stonefly Nymph Swap

Default Sierra Stonefly Swap

Two more excellent stoneflies came my way, both are originated by the tiers. We have one more to arrive but I'm sending these back to you on Monday, Nov 14th, regardless.
    Dean (Flyjunkie) sent in his Yuba Stone. What a gorgeous fly! I need to get Dean's material list but it looks like a mottled Nymph Skin carapace/wingcase with an epoxy coating. It uses a Golden Stone dubbing blend that is ribbed with a fine copper wire through the abdomen. Dean uses a Grizzly Soft Hackle that is palmered around a Golden Stone dubbed thorax and collared just in front of the thorax.

Kriss Nielsen (Mountain Man) sent in a great looking stonefly with his Nielsen Stone. The fly uses a dark brownish black dubbing blend with dark brown vinyl ribbing. The tail is a split one of soft hackle fibers. Maybe pheasant?? Kriss also uses Pheasant for the wingcase. A soft hackle is wrapped twice between the abdomen and the thorax. The antennae also appear to be Pheasant fibers. I'll try to get a materials list from Kriss also when we make our final posting.

Expect to see a package from me by Wendsday next week. I really appreciate the effort everyone put into making this an exceptional stonefly swap. Thanks to everyone.
    Steve
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com

Default Sierra Stonefly Swap Finale

The Sierra Stonefly Nymphs have been sent back to you as of yesterday. Pleased to announce a 100% response from the group. The pics of the flies are posted on my web site at:
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com/flyswap1.htm

I wish to extend my appreciation to everyone that took part in this swap. It was personally very satisfying to host a group that enjoyed sharing their skills with others. We have a very good display of flies that will be much admired from many viewers from around the world.
    I will be hosting another swap in January on Mayfly emergers. We will be keeping to a 10 person limit. Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks, Steve
    Steve Schalla
    Flyfishing the Sierras
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com

Thanks for hosting this one Steve, and especially for the tips and support. I learned a lot on this round, and again, my apologies to all about the sloppy epoxy! I've learned and will show a huge improvement next time.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Default Stone Flies....

Hi Steve,..... Received the swap flies today and am very impressed. We do have some very creative tyer's in our community.....

Thanks for hosting this swap. It turned out great.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown