Thread: North Yuba River Report...

Default North Yuba River Report...

North Yuba River Report

Kathleen, Jeff, Truman (golden retriever), and I had a nice weekend on the North Yuba River. We have been exploring it downstream from the Hwy. 49 bridge. It is only 1.5 hours from our house in Roseville, and has been the closest trout/ backpacking/ camping for free area we have found yet. We left Friday around 1:30 pm and got to a site and on the water by 4:30. Tough fishing this time. A few large, tan mayflies in the air, and very few rises. Nothing caught the first night. We have been setting up camp on the mining claims downstream, which I don’t know is too kosher, but no hustle from prospectors, DFG, National Forest Service rangers, or Sheriffs so far (3x trips). We parked at the bridge for two days (nights) with no ticket or warnings (nothing posted either).

About the fish...I caught 3 rainbows (8-12 inch). One Saturday afternoon on a Peacock hurl, Elk Hair Caddis after the water was in shadow. Two this noon at the run downstream of the bridge on a double nymph rig (large nymph to get it down, and 18 copper john dropper).

Kathleen caught one on a worm (yeah!)Kathleen finally caught a fish! She is usually the guide. And an excellent guide at that!

All in all, we had a great time, and will probably go back to the area until we are told not to. Good fishing to be had at the area below the bridge for anyone who doesn’t like to hike. Good parking too.

We saw ALOT of land-locked salmon (8-20 inch)??? spawning. Orange tail, red body, green head, hook nose. Green females. What are they??? Kokanee? German Brown? Minnow? Help us out with ID.

Sincerely,
    Eric Ryan, Owner
    Ryan Rod Co.
    www.ryanrodco.com

Default Salmon....

Hey Eric,.... I suspect the fish you saw were spawning Kokanee coming up from Englebright Rsvr. Not sure how amenable they are to being taken on flies at this time.... However, I have a buddy that reaches the No. Fk. thru the town of Strawberry. The entry road is somewhere around there and quite a bit downstream from where you were.

The place to locate on a map is Race Track Point. It's described as a deep hole on a bend. You need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to reach it but fish can be taken there on (gasp ) artficial lures if you're so inclined.

My friend says that at times there're so many fish in that area it's like trying to shoot into a flock of birds going by (....or buck fever)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown