Thread: Last American Striper report , 9/25/2005

Default Last American Striper report , 9/25/2005

Ahhhh ..... the last AR Stripe trip of the season !! Didn't fish much out there this year because of high flows thru most of the spring/summer .

Water level was around 2200 CFS , and colder than death - must be in the mid-50s . Fished my home water of Hoiges hole and Paradise beach .

Not a touch .

To add injury to insult ..... I fell a few months ago , pranging my right wrist . It has become steadily worse , untill today - after slinging T-14 for a couple of hours , I can no longer cast AT ALL . Trying to backcast had me in major pain . I'm trying to set a quack appointment for Wensday of this week , because I have to fix this problem NOW - don't want to miss Dan Blanton's STRIPERFEST , or be lame for Baja !

Stripers on the A never really came together for me this year - my count stands at a measley three fish to 4 lbs. . I know of several local flyfishers that did alright this season , including some very respectable Stripes , but I never heard of great numbers of Striped Bass being taken on the fly . The bait guys took more large fish out this year (from the reports that I have seen) than any year out of the past five - I cannot really blame anyone or anything for the poor showing , other than less than friendly conditions for wading w/ a flyrod (very high , cool water for most of the season) .

Nothing ever stays the same ...... and , that's alright . The Shad had great spawning conditions , that bodes well for more 'bait' in the American . If the Salmon and Steelhead come up in force , they will also likely have a good spawn for a change because of the higher , colder flows . More fish of any kind in there means more Stripers will stay and feed in the future !!

Now , I will switch my focus to the Port and the Delta . Untill next February on the American ....

Have a good one !!

David

Thanks for all the reports. You deserve to have a Fall filled with Huge Stripes on the Delta. Best of Luck!

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Thanks , Katz !!

I'm gonna do the Port of Sac more than the Delta this fall - you're welcome to join me once I get my stupid boat squared away

See ya !

David

David, I'd be honored to show you a couple of spots in the Delta if you could borrow your wife's kayak and come down. . . . Just say the word, you know you're MORE than welcome to any spot I know about.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

That sounds like a lot of fun , Mike .....

All except the kayak part :P . It's pretty much a given that if I fish outta that sucker , something gnarly will happen (wind will blow like hell , I'll go for a swim , etc. .....) .

I'll have to tye up some divers and more Crease flies for us to use

David