Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Baja trip update -

Default My Baja trip update -

Hi guys , thought I'd let everyone know what's up ....

We are booked , and have airline tickets for December 8th thru the 15th (EIGHT DAYS !!!!!!!!!!!!! ) , airfare came out to $400. a person R/T , and Hotel Punta Colorada for two was under $700. !! I hope it isn't un-pukka to talk about the prices - I am more than a little suprised at how inexpencive everything is turning out to be ..... Looks like I'll have more $$$ for Beer and goodies for my friends here

I swear to God , I'm gonna blow a gasket sitting here waiting .... . We are the first people booked in December , so the hotel gave us the mother of all deals . Haven't yet started tying for the trip (like the fish give a squirt if the epoxy goes yellow ....) , but will start on the first of over 500 bugs this weekend . Reels are cleaned , rods are polished , lines are rigged ... everything is falling into place . Barring death , or incarceration , we will be there

Did Leopards at spot 'X' last weekend , tide was super low - only landed two on bait . For a change .... I'll PRACTICE CASTING for the next three months , as so not to have a hand/wrist/elbow go lame on this trip (like a sore hand is gonna stop me now ) .

Still accepting 'buddy' flies from any and all - and remember to let me know what anyone would like me to bring back for them (no , Darian .... I cannot smuggle Bonita Nativas back thru customs , tempted though I am to .....) .

David

David, really happy to hear everything is falling into place. I can hear the excitement in your post. 500 flies, eh? On the other hand, I guess you wouldn't want to be standing there wishing you had brought yet another pattern, ha. I shall commence tying buddy flies immediately!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default ? Bonita What ?

Okey, I'll bite. I even looked under google for a decent explanation but only variations of native plants came up.

So what is this "Bonita Nativas"?

Is this kind of like Hawaiian Pakalolo?
    TONY

Tony, uh, I believe the term is roughly translated as, "young, cute native females."
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default .

David
    I know exactly how you feel. We planned our baja trip way in advance, and the wait was brutal to say the least. Tying flies while the clock ticked kept me excited. Especially since I really enjoy tying baitfish patterns. Its a nice change from tying nothing but "bugs". I probably brought 500 flies too. But it was a good thing I brought my vice and supplies. We didnt have enough of the flies that were getting torn apart. Heres a sample of what I was tying for east cape. I cant remember for sure, but I dont think I used a single one of these.lol

Default Baja Flies??? Wheeew!!!

Wow!!!!! 500 flies Guess you gotta cover the Sierra fishin', tho..... Get a bunch of wire leader materials, too.

I'll tell ya David, No Bonita Nativas, no buddy flies.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike S. - I shall include one #2 red/white Taps Bug ..... and I will think of you when I tye it on . I have your 'overseas' gift in mind , but if you would like anything specific .... let me know .

Tony - Bonita Nativa= Beautiful native woman . Darian and I share the same taste in native fauna ( it's the least I can do for a friend .....) . Is there anything I can bring you from south of the border ??

JBird - You tye some SAVAGE flies !!! Are those little ones the red pelagic crabs ?? They all look GOOOOOOOD !!!! Please , tell me about your last trip -

Mr. Calhoun - a dozen of your Baja Sardinas , #2-#1/0 , no longer than two inches , would find some time in the water .... I will do what I can to bring you a 'playmate' , though I get to witness the pre-nup :P . You should come down w/ us , it would be a SCREAMMMMMMM !!!!!!

I wonder if I'll come back AT ALL -

David

Default .

David

Heres a link to the report from our trip. I posted it at my "home" board when we got back. J

http://p076.ezboard.com/fsouthernore...icID=559.topic

Thanks for the follow-up , JBird .

Ladyfish , Pompano , and Sierra look like they'd be SCREAMERS on the 7 wt. - I ask for so little out of life , ya know ......??

Again , great stuff ! Thanks for sharing it with us !

Malo Gringo

David
    Punta Colorado is in the center of Rooster fish alley for the East Cape. I have had some great fishing from the point the hotel sits on in the past when I was a gear fisherman but not for Roosters. If you have the time walk the sand beaches towards the light house or drive to the lighthouse. When we were there 10am to 4pm was best because you can see in the water the best. Stay as elevated as possible and keep your eyes peeled. If the water is stirred up keep an eye on the tops of the swell,the Roosters seem to like to surf and the jacks seemed to like it in the trough along the shore line. Be prepared to run like ,Jbird mentioned. I haven't fished the beaches west of the hotel but hear they can be very good as well.
    Punta Colarado is out by itself and night life will be non existant without a car. If you do drive into town and drive at night go very slow and be careful. Every thing wakes up in Baja at night and likes to hang around on the road. Cows,horses.pigs goats,ect.

Mark