Thread: Middle Rogue Steelhead

Default Middle Rogue Steelhead

Acutally left my driveway and went wade fishing about five miles above the house. Hooked 4 steelhead and landed 3 of which I released. All the fish were wild and were 21", 25" and 27". All bright, clean fish & taken on a Size 8 ice peacock bead head nymph. 27" fish is shown below.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Nice picture. Is the fly the one you posted last year?? I tied a few but haven't tried them yet.
    I betterget going.

It is the same fly: See below
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

21" Summer Steelhead from this AM
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

25" Summer Steelhead from this AM
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Really nice fish, Gordon. I keep sending the links to your posts to a buddy of mine who just moved up to Ashland. He's starting to fish the Rogue up there, but I haven't heard if he's had any luck. Do you think there are fish that far up yet?
    patrick

There are actually more fish in the Shady Cove region that around Grants Pass as almost all of the early fish, about 4000, go close to Lost Creek outflow where the water was cooler. Only now are we getting summer fish that are staying in the middle portion of the Rogue(15 miles + or - Grants Pass). It will only improve through October and November.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Gordon, those are just gorgeous fish, especially that 27"er. Like you said, nice and bright and clean looking. I take it you have no need whatsoever to fish anything other than a Gordon Special, eh? I'm going to have to tie some of those up, ha.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Tonight got in my pram back of the house and caught & released this 29" hatchery summer steelhead on my trusty Size 8 ice peacock beadhead nymph. Going 4 for 5 in a day is not too shabby!
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR