Thread: My Feather River Failure

Default My Feather River Failure

I have been salmon fishing on the feather river every monday for the last three weeks and I have only caught one salmon. I am not sure what's going on. I am using a 300 grain sink tip and I mostly swing comet flies. Is it a slow year or do I just suck. If anybody has any input on some good patterns and technics on how I can improve my catch rate I would appreciate it.

have you ever considered taking up golf?

ok, that was a joke.....check out some of the Teeny videos on salmon fishing....great stuff

http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.ht.../catIntro.html

Here is something that has worked for me for the last several years. I have only tried it at the shithouse because it works there and I too busy to go looking for other places to try.

I go to the very bottom of the riffle where all the bait guys thin out. If you walk to the end of the rocks and straight downstream about 30 yards you will be there. The water is only knee deep.

I use an 8wt with Dry line and 3-4 feet of leadcore attached to the end of the dry line, just enough weight to get the fly under the water. I then cast as close to the far bank as possible and swing the fly to straight down stream. I use a large red bunny leach. You should almost never touch the bottom with the fly.

The only time the fish are in this spot is very first light and the last 30-60 minutes at night that it is legal to fish. I usually go at night becuase I seem to do better then. I have often been able to get a couple to hand during that last hr of light. The remainder of this month should be good in that spot.

If you look only downstream, it will be peaceful. If you look behind you/uptsream you will see about 20-30 bait chuckers Not the most serene place in the world, but a good place to catch a salmon at the right time.

Hope that helps.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Jeremy-

Try getting in contact with Tony Buzolich. He guides Monday-Wednesday. The service is sure worth it. Try looking at the recent Feather River post for further pictures.

I talked to Tony on the phone and he knows his stuff. I am still in the process of lining something up with him. Work and timing is not in my favor but seems to be in yours.

Default They're Still Coming In

Hi Jeremy,

What Katz said is a good way to dredge and still keep you fly moving. Another option is to add a split shot or two about 18" above your fly with the 300gr. head. I've been doing this often on my 9 weight outfit. I also use a 400 grain line on my 10w. You've got to get down and get it in their face.

The depth of the water and the speed of the water are what is going to determine how much weight you'll need.

As for time of day to fish? Definitely first light and last light are the best for moving fish, but if you know the runs you can pick up fish any time. Today we landed one nice bright fish at 1:30 in the afternoon. On my favorite fly, a #6 Pink Comet.

Hang in there. You'll get it.
    TONY

Default Another Option.....

You can't go wrong by arranging a session with Tony. If unable to make it, tho, try a retrieved fly. I'm assummuing from your note that swinging means that you're dead drifting the fly until the end of the swing.... If I'm correct, try an up or accross cast, let the fly reach depth and retrieve accross current. If the drift is slow, I've had success with a hand-twist retrieve. If the water is faster, try a strip retrieve. The key to this working is to make sure you're at depth (as Tony says) . With moving fish, you shouldn't snag any more fish than normal. However, later,.... when the fish are crowded, retrieved flies frequently snag fish . It's a judgement thing....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Size 8 peach egg pattern on a floating line with a couple of split shot got me a 25 lb buck on Sunday. The hook was de-barbed but I hooked him so solidly that I had to cut the hook out.