Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper American River Foundation formation???

Default Upper American River Foundation formation???

Hi to all of you fishermen who fish in the North Fork American River Watershed... that includes the Middle Fork American River and the Rubicon River...

I've been learning over the past year that there is a very nice fishery here... especially in the Middle Fork American River.

Greg Nau, Board Member for the Placer County Resource Conservation District, suggested that I see if we have enough interest in our watershed to start up our own Foundation... patterned after the Henry's Fork Foundation on the Snake River.

So, our next meeting will be on Sept. 15th at the Canyon View Community Center on Maidu Drive in Auburn, CA. We meet from 10 a.m until noon and this meeting our focus will be on the benefits of forming a Foundation for the Upper American River... probably including the South Fork American River too!

Let me know if you're interested or if you think it's not such a great idea, OK? Thanks,

Bill Templin
    http://arwg.org
    916-601-9954
    wtemplin@surewest.net
    Bill Templin

My favorite waters, what would be the purpose of the foundation? Was on the 'rube last week, fishing was pretty good but not spectacular. Interesting thing going on, the alders all along the stream seem to be under a massive insect infestation, leaves are almost all eaten away and there are waves of black maggot looking larvae underneath.Every alder tree on the whole stretch I fished was affected. On the positive, eldorado natl. forest closed all un-marked roads so you can't drive down to the river at ellicots bridge. I say positive because usually by now the car campers there have left so much waste (feces) around that it's pretty much an open sewer.Now it's too much work to carry camping gear down there. It hasn't helped that much at long canyon though, the T. P. flowers are still blooming all over the campsite. Aren't people grand.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I wouldn't be able to make the meeting, but I am interested in what your foundation has in mind. Keep us posted here on the board

Default Upper American River Foundation and Rubicon River issues!

That's OK if you can't make our Watershed meeting this Thursday,
    Sept. 15. We just rescheduled our meeting to focus on the formation
    of an Upper American River Watershed Foundation (name still to be decided) for our October 20 meeting. I just spoke with Greg Nau and he isn't available for Sept. 15, but he is for Oct. 20. He will also just be returning from his annual trip to the Henry's Fork and their Board Meeting, so he should have lots of new information to share on how we might get a jump start on this process and learn from their experiences!

The idea of forming a foundation for the upper American River Watershed
    would be to develop the information on the watershed that is now lacking and to help improve the sustainability of watershed coordination in this area. I'm finding that there seems to be a lack of informtion on the fishery in this area, including spawning habits, migration, and impacts from land uses on the fishery and their habitat. Often, when people are unaware that they have a significant and very valuable resource at their fingertips they behave differently than when they do understand, and my be more inclined to treat it with more respect.

The grants that presently support are about 1/2 through their 3 year grant period so we need to be thinking and acting proactively for the future of this great resource. We would be focusing on fund raising like they have been doing on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River.

I don't have the answer to your question on the tree infestation, but I will find out and get back to you on that.

I didn't know that the El Dorado N.F. road closure would include the Endicot Bridge camping area, but I agree, when I was last there it was a mess. Maybe we should organize a clean up event and get that mess cleaned up? We could have a BBQ, fishing outing... and clean up Do I have any takers on this? If so, when would be a good weekend to do this?

I think I've covered all of the questions and I will follow up on the tree infestation question and be back to you on that.

Thanks for your interest!

Bill Templin
    N.F. American River Watershed Coordinator
    http://arwg.o
    Bill Templin

Pick a weekend and I'll make the time. Thinking about camper education in the area, the forest service doesn't cover crapping in the woods on their boards so that would be a good spot. Just some posters on waterproof paper should work, should be light-hearted and funny so it doesn't get torn down and used for toilet paper on a trail. Anybody got any ideas? I was thinking maybe stick-men for graphics. The next month or so is usually the best time of year to be on the Rubicon, cool days, no skeeters, and October caddis all over the place.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Default Rubicon River Clean Up

Hi Ed,

How does Sat. Oct. 22 sound to you?
    That or Oct. 29 are the only Saturdays in October that
    I have available.

I look forward to building on this and letting
    others know of our plans!

I assume that the location you spoke of earlier that
    had the bug infestation was near this bridge, but please
    confirm for me. I just spoke with Mike Grim at the USFS
    in Placerville and he hadn't heard about it. He's checking
    with others in their office, but he wanted to make sure
    of the location.

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill Templin

It's at Ellicotts bridge on Eleven pines road. I fished from the bottom of the slide point trail up to the bridge. The forest service guys will know exactly where that is. Oct. 22nd it is. That's in the middle of the salmon run on the American but the cause is worth it. At least it's also the best time to be on the Rube. It's a very small area to clean on the rubicon, do you want to try a couple more streams in the area?Long canyon and no-fish creek are also in the immediate vicinity and are having litter problems.Let's get some more bodies before we decide.I'll be making some calls myself, my family and friends have been fishing the area for years, I think I can scrounge up some volunteers.

Default Rubicon River Clean Up Oct. 22, 2005

Rubicon River Clean Up Notice
    Where: Ellicot Bridge on the Rubicon River
    When: Saturday, Oct. 22, 8:00 a.m.
    Who: Anyone interested in helping to improve the watershed and fishery

Contact: Bill Templin, N.F. American River Watershed Coordinator
    916-601-9954 wtemplin@surewest.net http://arwg.org
    Bill Templin

I'm interested in learning more about your proposed foundation. The MFA is one of my favorite destinations and I would like to see that river reach it's potential or at least get a little more protection. Please keep me posted on your meetings, I can even post the meeting dates & time on the FlyFishNorCal site.

Thanks

Ben

It's kind of funny, as wild and hard to access as the streams in this watershed are you can fish them for years thinking you are the only one using them, then it turns out they are actually quite popular, at least with flyfishers.On a normal weekend on the Rubicon I consider it crowded when I run into just one other fisherman.Clean up on the Rube shouldn't take very long as it's not a very long stretch of easy access and John Q. Public generally doesn't like to work very hard. It would help if we can get permission from the usfs to drive down the access road, it's off limits otherwise. Looking forward to sharing my favorite stream with some new faces.