Thread: Feather River Salmon !

Default Feather River Salmon !

After busting up my leg a couple weeks ago, I couldn't take any more sitting around and had to get on the water to see what's happening. Well, let me tell you, "It's Happening Now". In the past two days myself and clients have landed 14 chrome salmon. And NO, I'm not exaggerating when I say chrome. These are really fresh fish that move through like rockets. These are NOT the dark stacked up fish that we'll see in another month. What I can't figure out is why there are so many bright fish this late in the season. These are just like the springers we saw in May and June.

In any case, they're here. And the really nice thing is,"They're Eating". Of those taken in the last two days only a couple were foul hooked, maybe two or three. The rest took the fly in the mouth. Twice today, I had double hook-ups. Talk about a (no disrespect)Chinese Fire Drill with a bumb leg.

Another surprise was the time of day that things got started. Not at the crack of dawn like ususal but around 8:00am. Quite often I'm done by this time.

Seems that last season was a late start too, so maybe this run will go on for a while too. Steelhead are starting to show as well.
    TONY

going to head up to feather this weekend and never have been there. where are some good locations to fly fish. i hear that the hwy 70 bridge is a good marker. would you fish above the bridge or below. i do not mind trekking and hiking. i really do want to stand side by side with others on the water. i have a 8 wt. is this big enough or too big for this water. the other rods i have are a 3,4,5 wt. what would be some good patterns. thanks for your help

Default Feather River Areas

The river above the Hwy. 70 bridge is closed to all fishing until the first of the year. The river below Hwy.70 is open and has some great areas for salmon, steelhead and trout on the fly.

An #8 is a bit light for salmon but will work. The other rods are way too light.

The best place to start is at the Hwy.162 bridge and then work your way down river along the west side stopping at any pull-out where you see cars. There will be plenty this time of year. You can work your way all the way down to Vance and Palm Ave ending at Palermo Riffle.

A Streamtime map of this area will really help too.

If you need more information write my e-mail and I'll be glad to help.

TONY

Those streamtime maps are really helpful.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Thanks Tony

Are you fishing the low flow and the high flow(after the outflow)?

That flow of 4000cfs plus must really be bring up the fish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Feather River Salmon

Bill,
    There are fish through-out the upper section now. I've been fishing mostly the lowflow but there are fish at Palermo too.

What I can't express enough is that these fish are moving through soo fast. They are right out of the salt and have shot up here with all this fresh water.

Most of the reports I get from the shop (Johnson's B&T) are that things are slow. I dissagree. I think the guys fishing from boats with Kwikfish in the holes are just getting a few because the fish aren't staying around and lingering like normal.

I'm sending you an e-mail with photos I got from the fellows I guided this past Wednesday. The big fish maxed out my 30#Boga and the rest were in the mid-twenties. Only one small fish about 12#.

Steelhead are coming in strong as well and this will also pick up as the salmon begin to set up redds.

This is going to be a great season no matter what the other reports say.

TONY

Thanks Tony

It is too bad that we can't get everyone out there and have them be successful.

You are guiding on the Feather now? Do you use a boat? I will have to send you some people. If they catch fish they will stay with the sport and be golfing less.

Here are some of Tony's happy customers now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Feather River Salmon

Geez Bill, this is fantastic publicity for me. I owe you big time.

As to your question about a boat, not for the salmon and steelhead. I do use a boat for the stripers.

My salmon trips require some walking and wading but the results have been worth it.

Thanks Again Bill,
    TONY

I'm gonna head up there on Sunday and check it out. Anyone from Sac want to car pool? Shoot me an e-mail.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.