Thread: Trinity Flywater Report 9/3-9/4/05

Default Trinity Flywater Report 9/3-9/4/05

Hey guys,

Spent time with the parents at their retirement home on the trinity by Lewiston. Hit the fly water Saturday morning, night, and sunday morning. Checked out the hatchery which doesn't open til the 15th, saw a few hundred salmon waiting to get in but best of all some big steelies at the head of the pack. Some of them were bigger than most of the salmon which was cool to see.

Anyways, lots of fisherman there this weekend but didn't see them catching much. Most of them dead drifting with indicators. On the other hand, taking steelie's advice, I had some small flies with me and a size 20-22 PT slayed em. The midge wasn't too productive, but it became apparent when the small mayflies started to come off the water why the fish were so selective. Lots of juvi steelhead holding up there and I mean lots! Fish jumping all around and lots of fish flashing as they took emergers shooting off the bottom. Caught well over a 100 fish between my dad, girlfriend, and I in about 6 hours of total fishing. Most fish 11-14" but a few around 16". They wouldn't take hit much else but I did manage about 20 strikes on a streamer with a few to hand. A radical caddis produced a few strikes from trout holding with the salmon but only if it was moving and not just drifting. The water was cold cold cold too! A great two days fishing nonetheless.

Oh yeah, and my dad called me yesterday and said he managed one adult fish Monday (I think, maybe Sunday night) around 7-8 lbs. He caught it on a size 14 zing-wing adams.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Nice Jeff! That is definitely some fun water to fish isn't it? Glad to hear you did well!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Great Jeff,

You did real good picking your parents.

New 'cabin' at Lewiston on the Trinity River is pretty cool.

Great catch for your dad too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It was fun water to fish. My dad has been doing so well up on the fly water he hasn't fished the river right below his house in the last few months. I should've tried it as there is a nice run there but between fishing we were putting his tractor back together which took a lot of work.
    Thanks for your previous report Steelie as well, it took a lot of the guess work out of it. I was thinking I wasn't ever going to use all those small PT's up... and I was suprised how well they held up but we still went through quite a few flies. Even though the fish were becoming more and more selective... my dad said by Monday they weren't even hitting the Pt's but were more keyed in on adults/emergers.

I'll be up there in October again for the caddis hatch and we'll see how good it is then.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com