Thread: American report 9/4/2005

Default American report 9/4/2005

Hit the lower A around noon w/ an old friend , he doesn't fish or do 'outdoors' things .... but he really wanted to go out in the bush for the day . Wish granted

Took my new Albright 8 wt. that Jay Murakoshi sent ..... for the price , an AMAZING rod !! Using an old Masterey 8 wt. Bass bug taper dry line , I could fire honest 70 foot casts without trying (using 8 foot leader w/ a #2 Crease fly) - I don't know if I'm becoming a better caster , but that rod seemed to do everything I wanted it to , with little effort !

No hits , no follows ..... But , at the footbridge @ Sac State , I saw several Stripes between 10 and 20+ lbs. . Couldn't get a shot at any as they were crusing the middle of the river . Saw a very dead Stripe of well over 30 lbs. @ the pumphouse , no idea what caused its demise (it was a bit ripe , so I didn't check it too closely ....) .

Water was cool and still around 3000CFS - Upstream wind at 12 MPH , gusting to around 20 . Slapped a 1/0 clouser against my neck (didn't draw blood , but smarted ) . With unlimited clear water , early and late seem to be the best times to get one of these fish to eat .

David

Default Dead 30 lber? !

Maybe they're starving to death without all those shad to eat?

Just kidding,
    TONY

Maybe it was just his/her time to go. Still no luck with them stripes? We gotta hit it more David til we get a few to hand.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Tony -

Late season on the A is the toughest .... LONG (9-16 foot ) leaders and small bait , or crawdads , or half-pounders are the feed of choice . I don't know of a harder game to play on foot .........

Jeff -

Float from bridge to bridge this weekend in tubes ?? I've an idea where those Stripey bastards are hanging

David

Jeff and David, you guys just to give it up and hit the Sac. for some Catfish on some bait rigs Just kidding as you know, hang in there and don't forget my signature, I haven't :P
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike