Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise?

Default Vise?

For those of you who read my post regarding the Trinity... you'll see I mentioned doing some "guiding". Well, my buddies pretty much cleaned out my box and I figure now is as good a time as any to learn to tie my own flies. I'd like to see if I can get my self into a decent vise for about $100. Mostly appropriate for smaller trout flies, but flexible as I imagine I'll be getting into some salmon and big winter steelhead soon here in the Pacific NW. I figure I can accumulate the rest of the tools and materials from there. Suggestions? Let 'em fly!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Check out: http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

Personally, I think the really good vises are in the $130-160 range. Spend the extra money now, rather than later.

If you really have to stick to budget, I'd get a Griffin 1A or 2A and spend the savings on materials...and you will be buying lots of materials, if you really get the bug.

Luck.
    -JD

I would recommend a dyna king vise. I believe it is called the kingfisher model and is about $125. It is a good price and will last you a while. That my 2 cents worth.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

JD / Jason... THANKS. It looks like I need to bump my budget to $150. I figured that would happen. Anybody use the Peak Rotary vise? It seems to have some favorable reviews. Do I really need a rotary vise...?
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

I was looking for a vise around that range a year ago too. I talked to many people and picked the Regal vise. I also see it used in a lot of shows. It sells for $150 just about everwhere. Many tyers that have been doing this for years use that vise. I've been happy with it, although it hasn't seen much tying this summer.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

SteelieD, you don't "really" need a rotary vise but, geez, a vise with rotary capability sure is a handy thing to have at times. In fact, I think some fly tyers would say they would feel "crippled" without that feature. Having said that, many accomplished tyers have spent their fly tying careers with a vise with no rotary capability. I would advise you, though, to get one with it, all else being equal. Like I said, I think you will find it extremely handy at times.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hey SteelieD,
    I'd also recommend the rotary. Its one of those things you can get by without but being able to rotate the fly around while tying makes alot of procedures much more quick and simple.
    I have a dynaking voyage that isn't rotary, howver, that is great for travel. I think its in the 150 range.
    Renzetti also makes a traveller vise which I think is in the lower price range, which some of my friends use and like.
    I've heard good things about the peak also, but haven't tried one.
    -Paul

The DynaKing "Kingfisher" and the Regal are pretty good values for $130-150 range.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Hey Steelie

I would look at the classifieds on this board, I believe it was Adam Grace selling a couple of vises. one was a Thompson "A" and the other was a Regal rotary vise.

Default vise

steelyd

The danvise by orvise is under $100, its a true rotary and can handle hooks from no-see-ums to "WOW! thats a big hook" I have a danvise that Ive used for years, I just bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose which is a lovely tool. But I stiil use the Dan more......I highly recommend it. Dont forget to check ebay.

J