Thread: Putah Creek 9-2-05

SullyTM Guest

Default Putah Creek 9-2-05

Ventured up to Putah Creek at first light and fished until noon. Turned out to be a good day...Struck up a conversation with a fellow fly guy who turned out to be Kiene Board Member, ChemDoc. His enthusiasm for fly fishing is contagious. Chem showed me some new stretches of water and all-in-all we both had a good AM. I caught a nice rainbow on a #18 red midge and Chem nailed one on his first/second cast using an olive bugger... We hiked to the south side of the island and I was shown some good holes. We both had plenty of strikes and fish to hook, but the crafty devils spit the hooks out

Later that AM after ChemDoc left for work I had the water to myself for a few minutes I worked a pocket of water by a small island and had 3 to hook...lost them...landed a 12"-14" trout and then had a BIG HIT After about 30 seconds of fighting I got a good look at the fish before he/she spit out the fly...At least 18".

Also, I got the good and the bad of on-water manners. Another fly guy showed up and politely asked if he could fish up stream about 30 yards or so from my position. "No problem". "Bob" also gave me some locations to try...Angler #2 came along and just waded out next to me and started flinging his salmon eggs Not cool...All he had to do was ask...I left and went back to my original pocker of water and had 2 more fish to hook before I grabbed my 2 bags of trash and headed home.

Great company in ChemDoc and a FUN day of fishing! Adios. Thom

Default Re: Putah Creek 9-2-05

Quote Originally Posted by SullyTM
    Angler #2 came along and just waded out next to me and started flinging his salmon eggs Not cool...All he had to do was ask...Thom
    Oh Please that is nothing!! Venture 45 miles west to the low flow where the anglers will walk right next to you, and throw their line right over yours getting you snagged up.