Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yuba 8-29

In response to Go Cal's comment on fluorocarbon, I'd like to ask that people who use it seriously consider why they use it.

Computer models have shown that it takes on average 200 years for a piece of fluorocarbon to completely disintegrate. This becomes a potentially serious problem when compounded by the number of people who use fluorocarbon, and the amount of it that ends up in the bottom of the fishery.

If you really think that fluorocarbon increases your chances of hooking up consider this, Trout can key in on the smallest organisms in the water, many times much smaller than any fly we can find in most shops today. Do you really think that they can't see a piece of 6x, 7x, or 8x fluorocarbon tippet?

If you have ever fished during or immediately after runoff (as just about all of us have), or have spent any time under water, you'll notice the mass amounts of eroded matter and debris mixed in with Trout food. If Trout really cared if a spec of sand, or a twig for that matter, were near a tasty morsel they would starve to death.

So, you may ask, why not use 10lb tippet if trout don't care? It's all about presentation. Trout can see 8x tippet like you and I can see our shoe laces. But what they do prefer, and what fine tippets provide is a life like presentation. And believe me, if you're really good (and I'm not ) you CAN super glue 15 lb tippet to a size 18 and catch fish.

Now consider this. Fluorocarbon costs 3-4 times mono tippet. Are you catching 3-4 times the number of Trout when you use Fluorocarbon? You’re not!? Then why are you using it?

Fluorocarbon is to Fly Fishing as New Coke was to beverages – another profit center.
    RdC

Nip -

That's a beauty !!

Hope you find a few more this fall ....

David

Default PM

Nip-

I just sent you a PM.

Jeff Tupen