Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba 8-29

Default Yuba 8-29

Spent Monday afternoon on the Y.
    Got four takes on hopper patterns but couldn't get one to stick!
    At last light I got this guy to hand on a #18 EHC, (thanks Bill.. )

In four hours or so I only saw about 8-10 fish rise.
    Dragon flies the size of sparrows were everywhere! Didn't see many other bugs until that light caddis hatch at dark.
    Anyone looking for tying material might want to check out the second pic...a couple miles or so down from the bridge...
    [

arrgghh...my first solo attempt at posting pics...sorry for the layout sloppiness!

I hope you took that fish home and ate it because there's no way he'd survive if you put him back in the water after laying him out on hot dry rocks, even if he initially swam away

I have to say that some of the pictures people have put up on this site have disturbed me no end

please, people, learn how to release fish the right way and for heaven's sakes, buy a shallow catch and release net and take the photo's of the fish in the net while it's in the water

or better yet, take the pictures of the fish in the water when it's close to shore, they look 10x better anyway

rant ended

The bank I was working from at the end of the retrieve was steep and unstable...didn't feel very safe so I brought him down up the bank for a quick pic. Then I got him right back in the river, held him till he grabbed enough water through his gills and watched him dart off in a very strong and healthy fashion!
    Let's find a kinder way to ask about the well being of the fish and the circumstances...helps keep the board a "safe" place to share info...

it's not a rant about you personally Nip, it's about a general trend I see every time I go out and fish the Yuba or Truckee or other rivers out here

people don't mean to mistreat the fish, but theyare nonentheless and I used to to (I admit it), when I first started out fishing (using barbed hooks, keeping the fish ut of water too long just to get the perfect picture, etc)

Default Have to say that I agree NorCal guy

To put a fish on those rocks as hot as they get just isn't safe for the fish. In fact I am getting to the point now where I would rather hook a fish and then find a way to get it off without having to land it or touch it. If I land it I always do it away from the rocks and in the water for fear that the fish especially as hard as they fight in the Yuba could be irreparably damaged. Also I am beginning to question the use of flurocarbon tippet. I have seen some tipped line marks on fish that almost look like glass cuts. It would be good to do a study on that. Thanks for the comments.

BTW I am not a fan of PETA!

I'm a fan of a quick release as well but the downsize is that I have almost no pictures of fish I've caught. I think larger fish are ok with a little bit of handling but smaller fish should be handled as little as possible if at all. Inevitably some fish are going to die but that's fishing for you. You should try to keep em in the water if you can though, not only so they can breathe after a nice fight but to also help support their weight.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

the solution is simple.....buy a "Catch & Release" net that has a shallow bottom that allows you to hold the fish in the water and take a picture without injuring it

like this:

Nip, nice fish, thanks for sharing! I think those Yuba rainbows are some of the prettiest around.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.