Thread: THE DARK SIDE

SullyTM Guest

Default THE DARK SIDE

Geez...I'm out-of-state for a couple of weeks and all hell has broken loose in the world of fly fishing I heard that a new way of nymphing is sweeping Norhtern California? Well, at least it's new to me

Instead of the traditional fly line/butt/leader/tippet folks are using/trying 30-40 feet of monofiliment at the end of the fly line. Using mono is supposed to get the fly down faster???? Well, has anyone tried this method? Comments? Suggestions?

What's the world coming to? [-o<

I need to go fishing. Thom

Glorified bait fishing!! That's what I call it...LOL. I think it has something to do with a book some guy wrote, but I could be wrong. But basically it says that standard set ups are inadequate for properly fishing nymphs in a lot of situations and basically it's because of the fly line so to correct the problem either the fly line is removed or like you said a very long mono leader is used and the fly line really isn't needed. To each his own... but not to say the technique isn't effective.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Hey Sully...

Donald G Bryant - Created a book called "Some Guys catch all the Fish & What the experts wont tell you"

It's a very long detailed book on creating different nymph rigs for his version of "Ultimate Nymphing"

I guess if you can get anything from this book, the point I do agree with is the sensitivity factor being hindered by a DT or WF line not providing a good medium for feeling a strike. Due to thicker media fly line being attached to mono. Hindering the vibration factor for tight line nymphing as the indicator goes by.

Thus the "mono rig" as he call it, which is basically a lure casting set up on a fly rod set up. Casting a weighted nymph set up quarter up and swing down. Having the weighted set up do natural drift due to the lack of resistance of mono in water. Alleviating the practice of "mending"
    But he also emphasizes that looking at the indicator should be a practiced as well for any subtle takes.

It goes on and on - But what I can apply to my nymphing practices in trout water is nymphing with a lighter rod like a 4wt. In which he claims is the ideal rod for that type of discipline. So the book basically it's another fisherman just trying to share secrets in his world of nymphing.

Take whatever you can form it and apply it if needed. Hope that answered your query Sully.... Tight lines chief..!! Ray
    Ray Rivera

Default New technique????

I seem to recall that Hal Jannsen used to advocate using 25' leaders with long, stiff butt sections and tapered terminal portions in the '70s. His butt sections were opaque (not sure what color) for whatever reason..... So, maybe this isn't such a new technique after all....

I see using lengthy leaders and removing the fly line from the equation as bubble/fly or jig fishing.... Neither of which are new but very effective. small jigs are used quite effectively at Pyramid Lake and other waters by spin fisherman....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown