Thread: Jackson Meadow Reservoir suggestions

Default Jackson Meadow Reservoir suggestions

Hey folks, I'm planning a trip up to the Truckee area for mid Sept. and was suggested to try the inlet/outlet of Jackson Meadow Reservoir. If you have any scoop I would greatly appreciate a report. Also, any info on nearby camping. I'm looking primarily for creek fishing within walking distance of a camp spot.

Goat, welcome aboard! Haven't fished that myself but I'm sure someone will pipe in. Good luck!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike O Guest

can't tell you about mid-sept, but we were just up there the first week of Aug, and fished in between jackson meadows and milton. It was freakin' cold, man!! We went in down by milton, in the meadows, and it was about 54 degrees water temp, as we moved up stream, it dropped a lot.

We saw and caught no fish, but my bud LDRed one about 12 inches.

I got pinned in by brush along the river, turned around to go back, and saw a humming, pissed-off ball of meat-bees boiling out of the nest in the ground I just stepped in. Choices: 10 ft deep river, wall of brush, or yellow-jackets. I took the brush. unfortunatly, my dog was following me, and didn't get the choice...he just ran!!

take along the mosquito spray man....that river braids all over the meadow, and the skeeters love the habitat

Default fishing jackson meadows

jackson meadows has always seemed like a wooley bugger fishery to me unless the ants are happening in the spring. I like Milton which is right next door down an upmarked dirt road by the dam. It is a wild fishery for browns and it can be anything from real easy to almost impossible. If the mayflies are hatching you can do well on emergers and sometimes you can even blind fish with them. damsel fly nympths on a slime line will work sometimes and some of the regulars fish midges. I have taken a few on ants around the edges but they wont hit buggfers except once in a raging rain strom when I killed them. go figure
    the camping is very limited, about a half dozen spots and it fills up on weekends. really pretty lake and there are some nice fish in it.
    Mark Merrill

Sounds like good intel, thanks. Have any of you tried the south end which I guess would be the inlet from the middle fork of the Yuba? I'll be sure to bring the wooley buggers.

For Milton two things to remember, small midges(for this time of year) and light long leader.A 14' leader tapered down to a 6or 7x tippet with size 20-24 midges.Look fer rising fish and cast to them.Good luck-Jay

I used to fish Milton before they drained it and netted all the fish and dumped them into Jackson meadows. It seemed to change a lot after that and haven't really fished it since. I remember pulling a few big browns out of there on dries. The creek was hit or miss depending on the time of year but my dad said he pulled a lot of nice fish out of there as well. Personally, I never saw a fish in the creek let alone caught one.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Thanks guys for all the help. However, as a group we decided to skip the reservoir and stay with the Truckee and Little Truckee. Perhaps I will get up to the reservoir another time.