Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelhead & Halfpounder reports?

Default Steelhead & Halfpounder reports?

North Umpqua?

Deschutes?

Lower Klamath?

Lower Rogue?

Lower American?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I went out this morning and fished above Watt Ave. with no luck. I was in the water just before 6 and fished for about 3 hours. I did have a couple hits early but that was it. I'll be going back out one night during the week and or next weekend again. I'll let you know if anything changes.
    Robert Lynch
    Sacramento Ca.

I snorkled the river this moring and only managed to spot two half pounders in the 16-20" range. They seem to be more active in the evenings when there is some caddis activity. I would try uprivers further around sunrise. I spotted both fish about 100 yards down from the lower sunrise foot bridge in a small tailout. About 2 feet of water. I spookef them when i walked by.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

I'll be fishing the Trinity river near Lewiston late next week. We'll be terrorizing the half pounders heading back to the fishery. This is where I learned to fly fish last year and I hope it is as exciting now as it was then. I'll have some pix and reports when I return. If anyone happens to be in that area (Lewiston Inn during the evenings and more than likely the "fly only" water on Friday and Saturday, 26/27th), be sure and look for us... we'll be the group "noobs" with huge grins, coolers of "refreshments" and more than likely when we return, several new steelhead/fly fishing addicts. =D> Funny how I feel compelled to expose my friends to the exhilaration of taking a fighting fish on a light rod!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Default Trinity Half Pounders!!!!

Sounds like a lot of fun . I know you'll enjoy yourself . Good luck
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Steelie,

I will be there as well I think. My parents own property up there now and we are going to hit the Fly waters labor day weekend. Maybe we'll see you out there!

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

I like to fish the Trinity River for Steelhead in October before the water gets too cold. October through March can all be good though. Probably November is the best for numbers of fish and people.

I was exposed to the Trinity River for Steelhead in the '70s by Joe Shirshac who fished it sense 1952. Joe's favorite stretch is from just above Junction City downstream to around Big Bar. We fished with a floating line and #6 Silver Hilton, Brindle Bug and Governor.

The Governor was shown to be by Chuck Von Gelden who is gone now but was a great fly fisher who's parents had a cabin on the Trinity many years ago. The Governor I remember is a fat peacock herl body with a Golden Pheasant tippet tail, gold tinsel tag on rear, brown rooster hackle and turkey quill wings kind of like a Muddler Minnow. Top Trinity guide Herb Burton uses peacock herl bodied softhackles on the Trinity in many sizes for trout and steelhead. The "Brown Hackle Peacock" is an old famous pattern for trout and steelhead and still very popular. Actually today you could probably just throw on a #6/8 Prince Nymph which you could buy anywhere.

The Trinity River was not good for Steelhead in the '80s or early '90s after the big draught in the late '70s. It has come back now for the past 5 years or more.

If you get up there this Fall for a few days and hook even one Steelhead I would consider that a good trip for most. It is not about big numbers but the ability to actuall fly fish a beautiful Steelhead river 4 hours from Sacramento.

I would go with a good guide if you can like George Durand, Herb Burton, Andrew Harris or Gino Bernero. Wait till you hear that fish are in the river in October before you go.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Lower Klamath

Heard from some friends that are fishing the lower Klamath. Hooking into alot of steelhead threw out the day. They also said that there are some bigger than usual steelheads, around the 8-10# range. One of my friends caught an 8# hatchery steelhead.

Grub-that's good to hear.
    Is this the lower, lower like near Klamath Glen?
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Any half pounders in the American yet? I havent gone out since Satuday but was talking with someone today that was in one of the other fly shops in town and someone there had a count that showed only 2 steelhead per mile as of a week and a half ago.
    Robert Lynch
    Sacramento Ca.