Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gary Anderson 1204 spey rod

Default I can't wait to try it....

I knew that the Rio Outbound #8 was too light, seems like 470-515 grains is a sweet spot for Skagit lines on Gary's 1204-4. It also seems like the taper of the Outbound isn't right for Skagit work. I've dug up a 10/11/12 windcutter that I'm going to try this weekend, as I've said the 9/10 Midspey works pretty well too. I also have a old SA 14-weight, 37' head, floating line that I think will work well as a skagit/indicator line. Thanks....

Default Jason you could cut definitely cut up a floater.....

The other option is to see if your shop can order just the running portion of the windcutter 10/11/12, Rio is usually pretty good about selling off parts of these lines. I don't know how much they would want for it though, and it might be cheaper to try and find a used floater and slice it up. If you did that you would have more flexibility in tweeking the lenth and grains for your stroke, and you could probably get away with a 9/10/11 just fine. The only drawback is that you would have to buy tips too, but if you already have 13-15' tips in say #8 (109gr) through #10 (150gr) weight from another spey or single handed versi-tip, then it's definitely going to be cheaper to slice up a floater or buy the back portion of a Windcutter Spey. Good luck, let me know how it works....