Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic tube fly

Default aTube Flies...

I'm familiar with salt water applications of tube type flies but have never seen them used in Freshwater.... I understand that they're used on spey outfits in the northwest and northeast.

When I was still living in L.A., I used a "feather" rigged on a short (6") wire leader to cast for barracuda/bonito. These feathers were, in affect, a lead head with a hole for sliding the leader thru and were cast on light spinning outfits (....on the dark side ). The feather body/wing onto a leader, was tied around the head. Very effective but haven't used one since that time....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Jason said that he modified my original pattern, it' looks good.

The direction for my original pattern:

Hook: TMC 3761 or 7999 #16-10
    Tag: Fluorescent Floss chartreuse for the olive pattern
    Body: Olive or Golden Brown Ice Dub dubbing
    Flash back: Pearl tinsel - over the top of the ice dub body
    Wire: Olive or Copper Brown Ultra Wire either brassie or medium size
    Antenna: Two strands of crystal flash olive or brown
    Collar: Grouse or Partirdge
    Head: Peacock Black Ice Dub
    Bead: Black sizes depend on the hook and body size, I like tungsten beads they keep the fly down while it swings in the current

It looks like Jason didn't tie in the antenna. The fly is less flashy that way, although the ice dub adds a ton of flash by itself.

Have fun
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

thanks Adam.

too bad there isn't a way to only lose a hook and still save the fly.
    that would be way kooool!!!
    why don't you guys work on that?
    (Or would we put uncle Bill out of some business?)
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Digger that would be cool

Actually you coud tie a snap swivel after the tube fly, then attach the hook to the snap swivel. If the hook snagged something maybe the snap part would bend out and release the hook and still keep the tube on the end of the leader.

Adam Grace

Thanks Adam I'll be giving those a shot. Does Kienes carry the tubes?? if not where could I get them or make them?
    "Together we can conquer anything, but if only one of us trembles we may all face the end."

Walter

Kiene's carries tubes (Aluminum, Brass and plastic) and the adapters for your vise that hold the tubes still enough to tie your fly.

The adapter IS neccessary!

Have fun.

Adam Grace

I tie up a variety of tube flies for both salt and fresh water. For fresh water, the flies are mainly for LMB and stripers and for the salt, it's almost for every species swimming. The main tube fly for the salt is designed for Sails. I tie up alot of sea habit tube flies.
    Les Johnson has a book out for tying up tube flies. I use three different size of tubes which takes three different size tube holders. I make up my own tube holders by using stainless steel welding rods or a sardine rigging hook that is ground down with a taper. Make sure the taper fits the tube snug.

Jay

I have been tying skating flies on tubes for summer steelhead, the tubes that I use are from Q-Tips. I use small bait hooks (stinger hooks) and tie them on with a sergons loop. You can position the hook where you want because the knot will hold the hook in place, if you are getting short strikes move the hook back. Also the knot will retain the fly some of the time when you break off. One of the big advantages of tube flies is that you are able to use a much smaller hook for the size of the fly resulting in less damage to the fish. For example a winter fly like a popsicle on standard hook you would have a hook of 1/0 or so. With a tube you would have the same body size but have a #4 hook.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Here's a good article online on tube flies in general.
    http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/bctubeflies/index.html