Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Micro Spey Clave the 21st of August

Moose, that is my plan as well. I am going to fish early and then hang till noon or whenever. Should be fun.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

It was nice to put faces to those who made it today. Special thanks to Adam for taking the time to school me in the art of spey casting, it was very helpful.

As I understand, a group of people are there most every Sat & Sun mornings working on their casting. After watching them cast, and talking to them for a bit, they are quite experienced too! I'll be making my way down there a lot more often now.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

thanks to all who attended..!! It was a great time, and nice to put faces on those who contribute to the board.

I'll try to routine this practice of Sun spey casting. It was relaxing and therapeutic.
    Ray Rivera

It was great to meet old friends and new ones an put a face to a name. On my way home at the highway 5/20 junction at Williams I saw a bunch of smoke to the west and wondered where the fire was - the closer to home I got the closer the fire got - it was a 1400 acre blaze just one ridge from my house!! It just topped the ridge and we could see flames shooting high but the bombers got th best of it and were able to knock it down - there were several homes in my subdivision that were evacuated as a precaution but no homes lost! Too close for comfort.

I am heading to the Klaath for three days next week - can't wait to hook up on the Anderson 1204! Will post on how it is on my return.

The mini spey clave was fun.

Most who attened the clave could already cast well. I was hoping to see more newbies to the sport but we still had a good turn out. I got a chance to meet some nice spey casters for the first time. I counted about ten people who came out to join in on the spey action.

Here are a couple of pictures from Sunday.

I had so much fun that I forgot to take more pictures.

I really enjoyed seeing my old spey friends again, even Jeff Putnam. :P
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Looks like a great time, wish i could have made it.

Default Spey Casting

Adam,

Watching you and the other guys tossing those lines out a mile so effortlessly gives me hope and a goal to aim for. I was out there with Jeff Putnam as one of his Spey students Sunday. It looks easy, but I have a lot work to do before I will have it down. Jeff is a wonderful teacher! No matter how many times I kept blowing it he kept helping and encouraging me. He has provided me the basics of what I need to master (practice, practice, and practice more) to establish a sound base to build from. The big reward will be the "fish on" with spey gear.

I want to thank the unnamed Spey caster there who provided Jeff with some sodas and water that he passed along to us. It was nice not to be frustrated and thirsty at the same time! You know who you are, so thanks, I owe you a cold one!

Also, I could use a lighter spey rod to learn with. If any one has a starter/used rod that is just collecting dust because you have outgrown/replaced it I would be interested. Something in the 6 - 7 wt. range would be good. Watt Ave. access is close to home so I hope get out there regularly.

Thanks

rrivera would be the unknown spey caster that provided you (and all of us) with drinks.

Thanks for that Ray, it was appreciated by all of us!
    Gregg Machel

It was my pleasure to be the "Spey Casters Hydrator" for the day. After all Wingman, we have been where you are. Feel free to aproach me or any of those you saw on Sun. Yes indeed - Practice is the key element in this Spey game..!!

We are more than willing to help in any shape or form. As far as rod selection for practice - Whew..!! That's a broad topic we all should disscuss at some point.

The one thing that only you can decide is the comfort speed of your casting stroke. This one factor in itself will determine the rod action you like, line for the rod, and speed of cast set up.

The one rod I had out there, a 7/8 13 ft Meiser. Was very difficult to line. Very powerfull rod but would lose power in the forward stroke w/ the 8-9-10 windcutter line. I went through 4 lines before I found the one that loaded and matched my casting style (8/9 Airflo long delta spey).

Just my 2 cent's Wingman - I would take advantage of the generous souls of Watt Ave during the weekend and cast as many rods so you can feel the one that is suited to you for your first real practice rod. Then after your comfortable with some of the casting strokes, then switch to different rods. You'll know then just by the action of the rod if you have to slow down or speed up the stroke for the same result.

I'll be there Sun again, and I'll bring a couple rods as well.

Best regards

-RR
    Ray Rivera

Wingman, You could also go into the Kiene's shop and check out some of the spey rods there. Maybe synch up with Jeff to do it when he's there too. They stock a variety of spey rods form the Anderson 4 wt. trout rod to just about as heavy as you would need.

From my own personal experience, I use a heavy rod too, and didn't realize what it was like to cast a lighter rod until last Sunday when I casted some of the other folks rods. I probably won't get a lighter rod until after this winter, but it's definately on my wish list.
    Gregg Machel