Thread: Salmon in the Feather River

Default Salmon in the Feather River

I have heard some good reports of fresh salmon in the feather river.

Have any of you guys fished it lately?

I will hopefuly get out and fish the feather with my long rod within a few days.

I will post a report after I check it out.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default SSSSssssssHHHHhhhhhhhh !

Adam, Shhhhhh. If you go during the week you'll have a lot more fun.

I'm usually on the water there every Mon-Tues-Wed. The rest of the week I'm in the shop getting daily reports as fish and fishermen come in.

Yes, there are lots of salmon in the river. There are also lots of snagging bead throwers as well. Get on the water early, about 5:30 now as the days are getting shorter. If you're the first guy on the run or riffle you'll hookup.
    Bright colored #4 and #6 early, flashy color combos as the sun comes up, and darker more subtle colors once the sun is up(Coal Car, Green Butt Skunk, Silver Hilton,etc).

I've been using T-300 and T-400 lines on my #9 and #10weight rods, short leader 4'-5' long of #14-#17lb Flourocarbon.

Several guys came in today that limited out at Shithouse Riffle. (that's three salmon each) Yes, they were fishing beads.
    TONY

Default Re: SSSSssssssHHHHhhhhhhhh !

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich

Several guys came in today that limited out at Shithouse Riffle. (that's three salmon each) Yes, they were fishing beads.
    TONY
    Hey Tony, do you know if their is a limit to how many salmon you can have at home? Seems many of these guys that catch 3 salmon every day and put them in their freezer would be in violation, but I havent seen such a limit for salmon? I know the limit is 10 for trout, but didnt see a number for salmon

Default Salmon on Feather

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your report back on the 7th. Just curious, where is the shithouse riffle? I usually frequent one of two riffles in the wildlife area and within the last month I've done well on both salmon and steelhead. The water is bigger down there so I llike a 10wt with T400 for the salmon. When my arm gets tired of tossing the T400 I'll switch to a 5wt and go after the steelhead.

Regards, Vaughn

Default Good Tactic

Shithouse riffle is the second riffle below the Hwy.162 bridge. To get there cross over the bridge from Oroville and go past McGrath's about a quarter of a mile and turn left. This will take you into the wildlife area all the way to the outlet at Thermolito.

I wish I had a little rod with me too some times. There's been a spinner hatch going off at dawn with some incredible trout gorging like crazy.
    Naturally I only have a #9 or#10 with me.
    TONY