Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debate - many small or a one big one

Default Quality Vs Quantity

Bill,.... There may be another group. The Saltwater addicts. Lotsa big fish and some beautiful scenery, too. There's something energizing about being out on the salt....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great Darian,

.....and the food!!! in the tropics.

It is addictive.

Snorkeling too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Real fishermen vs Reel Fishermen

Yes, it's mostly about being there, it's fishing not catching, at least that's the way my dad taught it to me. I took my best friend from high school out on the Delta a couple of weeks ago and the catching was slow, but the fishing was great. He is an entomologist and what caught his eye and gave him great pleasure among other things were the terns diving for fish and the bluegill behavior over the beds. That's what my dad (also a biologist) would have called a real fisherman. The people who would have had a miserable time because the catching was slow my dad called reel fishermen.

Default Fishin'

Amen Richard,.... Your father and friend have it right.... Sounds like a pair of great guys.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Richard, I agree, there's a helluva lot to be said for just being there. I love to be out on the Delta in my inflatable kayak in a quiet area where there there is no water skier/boat traffic. Sometimes, I'll just tie up to a tree branch or tule, toss my deerhair bug out to a likely looking spot, pour my self a cup of coffee, and kick back, soaking it all in. Might watch a turtle resting on a log or an egret working the shoreline. Before long, I'll see a fish boil on the surface. . . . I often think, "this IS what it's all about, life is good . . . ." A respite from the rat race, as Thom put it. Very therapeutic.

Having said that, I'm there to catch fish. I want to catch AT LEAST one. For me, that makes the trip complete. Doesn't even have to be a "nice" fish. Once I get one on the boards, I'm happy and good to go. I don't have to catch a lot of fish and I don't have to catch a big one, although who wouldn't be happier if that happened? But at least one fish. The rest is gravy.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Yeh, it's tough to get skunked

I agree, I like to catch at least one, but mostly I try to just enjoy being on the water and maybe making a few decent casts.

Default Here's that one big fish that got me started on the topic

I believe I may be a member of Bill's "third group". I can sometimes just be on a small creek (my favorite), absentmindly casting and looking at the scenery and think that all is well in the world. That is a great feeling. That said... I suppose I'd choose volume over mass. A whole bunch of fish makes for a fun day!

Nice fish Richard!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Richard,

Where is that place youi got that big bass?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

In the Delta. I have my canoe at Frank's Marina on Bethel Island and I fish in that general area. With a 3 HP motor I can't go too far. Here's another one from the same area.