Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debate - many small or a one big one

Default Debate - many small or a one big one

There always seems to be the ongoing debate about prefering lots of action, but mostly small or less action and bigger fish. Generally I have been in the former category. The past two weeks I have found myself in the latter group, not by choice just the luck of the draw. The advantage I find is that you take photos of the big one and you get to practice casting a lot. (I wanted to post photos of last week's fish (20"), but I still haven't found how to do that.) Also I caught both last week's and this week's fish on a new design I just tied (I call it the Bumbler's version of a Dahlberg Diver). Maybe I should develop a different design that attracts the babies.

Other than the biggest group (I'm just happy to be on the water rather than in the ground ) where do people stand in the many versus big debate?

Hi Richard , great to see you jump in w/ both feet !

I've always enjoyed 'working' for my fish , and having said that , I've earned a few 'once in a lifetime' fish .

But I have to admit ..... when I get nothin' but 'dinks' , I wish I could BOX w/ a MOE . And , when I am hunting HARD , and earning those monsters .... I kinda wish there were more little ones to make me feel better .

The grass is always greener on the other side ..... ya know ??

David

Default Quality vs Quantity....

Hi Richard,.... I'm firmly in the quality camp. Don't know you age but it hasn't been that long ago that Trout (Steelhead not incl.) stocked by DFG were all approximately 7" long. This was for put/take fisheries..... Needless to say, all of the fisherman I know didn't bother fishing for Trout in California. Sometime in the the 70's, I believe, DFG decided to reduce the number increase the size of trout it stocked. The result is that there're a lot more quality Trout to catch.... A whole lot more fun to me.

Anadromous fisheries are not stocked in the same pattern as there're probably too many variables to control (....and maybe stocking isn't really viable). However, regardless of whether fish (of any variety) are stocked or not, I prefer to catch larger fish than smaller (freshwater or ocean).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I've been working hard on quality lately. I have been fishing large flies deeper.

It finally paid off about a week ago.

Keep working for those bigger fish, they'll come, with patience!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have to agree with David, I love to work for those big monsters but when the going gets tough I'll throw to those little guys bump up the numbers then try to go big again. Personally I'd rather say I had a 30 fish day with no monsters than I caught one nice one. Like Richard said "Better to be on the water than in the ground" :P

Now the second part of the question how do you post pics on the forum
    "Together we can conquer anything, but if only one of us trembles we may all face the end."

Walter

Default Quality vs Quantity....

I guess I have to modify my stand a little. If I feel the need for an ego boost, I fish for Bass/Bluegill. You can catch a bunch and they're all fighters. In my opinion, Bass/Sunnies fight harder than most small Trout and they can be very selective.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

I have a different approach...I like to catch 'em but getting skunked doesn't bother me. I just enjoy being on the water, away from the rat-race. Sometimes what's happening around me is as interesting and exciting as what's in the H2O...For example, I've been out with David Lee and MSP twice and I've spent a few minutes just "watching". Patience is a virtue as they say...Now if I could just catch a 4 pound bass like Adam did

My opinion is this. The more difficult a fish is to catch the more satisfaction you feel when you get it. Some of my best days on the water only netted a fish or two.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

I agree MSP!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I think there are two groups:

Some want to catch a lot of fish all day long, action.

Others will plan a trip looking for larger fish and be happy with only a few or even none at times.

I like to just get out and do some casting. Maybe that is the 'third group'?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........