Thread: Creek Carp/Bass Report 8/1

SullyTM Guest

Default Creek Carp/Bass Report 8/1

...nothing like an AM quickie at a secret spot to get the week started off on the right foot. Went down to a local stretch of H2O thinking I might have a go with Mr. Carp...brought my 4 weight. I was using an olive Fox Poopah, size 16 and had about 5 taps and 1 take...it didn't last long I'll catch one eventually. Walked up stream about 1/2 mile to a flood control barrier thinking I might find some bass...Tied on an emerger pattern. First cast...BAM! It was a fight to the finish for my first ever bass on a fly After a 15 second fight I landed...drum roll please...a 4 inch smallmouth Hey, you take you victories when you can. I proceeded to land 6 more of the little beasts! I was exhausted! Enjoy the week. Thom

Thom, hey, sounds like you had fun anyway! Congratulations on your first bass on the fly! VERY cool that you found local water with smallies in it. I'll bet money there are some decent-sized, spookier ones lurking in the shadows. . . . Time to start tying up some size 8 leech patterns and some Clousers, eh? I'll bet a size 6 beadhead olive wooly bugger would work pretty good too.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

the north fork american is finally fishing well.smallies in gin clear water.love it.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thom -

If there's a 4-incher in there , there's some in the 2 lb. range , too .

Go get 'em !!

David

Hey Thom, you can't be using those Poopahs on just any old fish now Let's try and be a little more selective Congrats!!!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

SullyTM Guest

Default PooPah

Hey Mike...I've become a huge fan of the poopah! Trouble was, I didn't have my fly box of leeches and buggers, so I HAD to go my poopahs. I'll try and limit their use Thom

...on a sad note, my aluminum Martin reel sustained some damage to the frame that morning so I'm going to retire it and look for a new 4 wt., under $100. Any suggestions Forum???

Default New Rods....

Hi Thom,.... Sounds like you've had a great time tormenting the fish over there.... There's a recent discussion of purchasing new rods, low cost, under General Fly Fishing, Topic: "Seeking Advice...."
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thom, sorry to hear that monster of a smallmouth warped your reel.

I only have experience with two reels for under $100 retail:

I own an Okuma Sierra 5/6 that will run you about $40 - $50 retail. Have caught many fish on it, including some that took line, and have NEVER had a problem. I subsequently bought one each for my boys and they haven't had any problems either. It has a disk drag and you can pick up spare spools for about $20-$25. The only thing I don't care about it is that it has a completely silent retrieve (some folks like that though). It has a very smooth retrieve and drag, though, and it does make noise when a fish runs. I dare anyone to suggest something better for its price -- I couldn't find anything better at the time. This model is also made in a 4/5 wt.

The other reel I have in this price range is an Orvis Battenkill 5/6, which retails for $98. It's also a disk drag reel and spare spools run about half the price of the reel. I like this reel a lot, especially the chatter it makes when a fish takes line. This model is also made in a 3/4 wt.

If you could just go over the $100 mark (I think about $129), you could pick up a Teton Tioga. I have a Tioga 4, and I REALLY like it. Unlike the first two I listed, this reel is fully machined rather than cast, and it has a pretty solid frame -- you WON'T be warping the frame on this reel. I challenge you to find a better reel in its price range, and I would certainly pick it out of the three I've mentioned if I had the choice. In the scheme of things, it's still a pretty cheap reel, relatively speaking, but you wouldn't think so looking at it and holding it. Mine is in the gunsmoke color, which I really like. It also comes in basic black. I treasure mine.

Good luck! Always fun to shop for a new reel. . . .

P.S. I forgot to mention I also have a Pflueger Medalist 1494. I bought it over 20 years ago for around $25(?), so I can't vouch whether the ones made today are just as good. I was very happy with it at the time, though. Caught many fish on that one and had no problems with it whatsoever. I still have it and it works just as well today as it did back then.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Reels....

Hmmmm,.... Missed that one. Oh well....

I vote for the Pflueger medalist in whatever model suits you. My first fly reel for Steelhead was a Model 1495 1/2 (circa 196. Still have it and it's still functional. Bought the newer rim control Pfleuger, 1595 1/2 I believe. It has a better reel seat but is still the same basic design and just as reliable.... Price is somewhere under $60.00.

Have many other brand reels but I still use this one more than any other for Trout, Bass, Sunnies, etc....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Hairstacker...Funny, I was looking at the Teton this AM Great minds think alike All that I'll admit to about my Martin is that it wasn't fish damage...it's to embarassing to tell In any event, I was planning on replacing it, but now the deed will take place before Christmas.

Darian...I'm familiar with Pfluegers. I'll check them out. Also, I'll check Bill's Product site...

Thanks. THom