Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some advice on a new rod

Default Info!!!

Just keep periodic fishin' info on the Russian comin'.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Darian, funny you should mention the Russian River. Even though I am very close, I have only fished this river about a half dozen times through 30 years of living here. I have swam in it thousands of times. The lure of this beautiful river is what's kept me here for so long. I live on Champs de Elysees (paradise on earth, from the Greek tragedies), about a three block walk uphill from the river. As you probably know, this river was once upon a time chock full of Steelhead and Salmon. Then the Army Corp of Engineers decided to drain the water from the bottom of Mendocino dam and changed the Russian into a silt bottom river from a gravel bottom river. It has decimated the fish population. I have seen pictures at the Steelhead Club in Duncans Mills and it looks like you could walk across the river on the backs of Steelheads. Right now the only action is smallmouth, maybe. The Steelhead run starts in mid December. I am told that one of the flies to use is the green wooly bugger. I have fished for Steelhead on spinning rigs but I think this December I will try some fly fishing. I'll let you know. I couldn't do any worse! I have never had success yet.

Take care, Alastair
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com

Alastair
    Find a flyfishing club around there and start fishing with guys that fish often.Shorten that learning curve...You will meet some great friends too.
    Just me 2 cents worth.

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice where you were from either. You should get a pretty decent shad run on the Russian River as well. A guy named Charlie Schilinsky out of Santa Rosa fishes the Russian all the time. I believe he has a fly fishing forum as well. I'll tell you what, once you catch your first steelie on a fly you will be hooked. Like was said earlier, just keep us posted on the action.

I think that the Sage Launch and Scott V2 rods are some of the best rods at the $200 price point, both rods feel great
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I wound up getting the Sage Launch, 9ft, 5wt, 4 piece. What a great rod! I am good to go now. Thanks for all your help you guys.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com