Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice on a new rod

Default I need some advice on a new rod

Hello all, I am in the market for a new 9' 5 wt rod. I am not rich so I'm looking at rods under $200.00. So far I have read lots of good things about TFO rods. Does anyone have anything to say about these? I am also considering an Echo 4 piece ECO590-4. Also, what is the difference in 2 piece, 4 piece, or 6 piece rods? Does this affect their performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sort of a newb to all this. Thanks.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com

Default Fly Rods....

Hi Alastair,.... Luckily for you, there're a quite a few rods in or close to that price range. I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with Echo or TFO; both have a good reputation. However, there're entry level kits/rods available by some name brand rod mfr's. Such as, Redington, Loomis, Winston, Sage. If you haven't checked out a kit, yet. You might want to consider that route....

Anyway, if you're near Kiene's Fly Shop or one close to where you live, go in and check them out. Cast a few and make a first hand choice.... Don't know about you but I like to see/use something first hand before buying....

As to multi piece rods, the most sections I would accept is 4 for travel purposes only. The ideal is a one piece rod. However, a one piece rod is inconvenient to transport/store. The more sections in a rod, the more potential weak spots there are in it. And, even a 4 piece rod can present problems of correct alignment of the sections in the AM, when you're still sleepy.... :P :P

Good hunting
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Alastair!

I own a couple of Pflueger Trion rods, including a 9' 5 wt. and 8' 5 wt., that I've been very happy with it. The 9' 5 wt. Trion is my go-to bass fishing rod in the Delta, and it has stood up to some nice fish. It is light and relatively assertive. You can pick 'em up new for less than $100. Be wary of other models of Pflueger brand rods -- the Pflueger Supreme, for example, is cheesy.

I also own a couple of Cortland CL fly rods that I really like. These range in price from $99 for 2-piece to $129 for 4-piece. I have an 8' 5 wt. and an 8 1/2' 4 wt. I have been very happy with these as well. They're a little slower than the Trion.

I believe the $150 - $200 range brings you into the introductory model lines of most of the major manufacturers. Hard to go wrong with any of these.

I've never cast any of the TFO rods but I've heard good things about them. I've never cast the Echo line of rods either.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I recently purchased a TFO Professional for my 10 year old. He cast it at Kiene's last fly show in the parking lot. He loves it and must admit I am impressed with the rod. Darian is right though, you should go to Kiene's and cast a few so you can see the differences for yourself. It is surprising the differences you can feel. My son actually tried about three or four different rods before choosing the TFO, he made a good choice and he's only been casting for about 4 years.

If you are just getting started you will probably not gain much from casting a rod.

If you have been casting for just a month or more you might be able to feel the subtle differences in rod though.

If you have been casting and fishing for a year you definatly never want to buy a rod without casting it first.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks a lot for your input guys. I will go somewhere and try out a bunch of different ones. I guess because I am relatively new to this, I wasn't sure if I could tell any difference between brands. I just wanted to get a decent rod and not waste my money. BTW, I get to go up next week to Shasta County and fish the McCloud and the Upper Sac again. I'm still after a photo with me actually holding a decent sized trout. Thanks again!

Bill, I just noticed your post. I have been casting for about four years. All tolled, I have probably fly fished about a dozen times. I can get the line out there about 25 or 30 feet under perfect conditions. Consistency and accuracy are other matters. I wish your shop wasn't so far away.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com

I have been fly fishing for about a year and a half and started out with a Cortland 4 piece 5-wt rod for $100. Last October I purchased a new Sage Launch 4-piece 5 wt at Kienes and love it. This rod runs $195 I believe. Although fairly new, I can really tell how much easier it is to cast the Sage, particular when roll casting flies, weight, and an indicator. This March I bought a Launch 3 wt as well, which is a great rod for the Sierras.

Default Location, Location, Location!!!!

Sorry Alastair,.... I didn't notice where you lived in my earlier post. The closest large shop I can think of in your area is the western Sports Shop in Santa Rosa.... Don't know if it's still there, but Grant King's family used to run a shop in Guerneville. I think it was a news/smoke shop as well....

Good luck with your search
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Try the Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa.

Ask for Carlo.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks everyone! I will try Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa. Now I am very curious to check out the difference in rods. I need all the help I can get.
    If anyone ever has a question about woodwinds or music in general, feel free to contact me. I would be glad to share information on a subject that I know something about. You guys have been very helpful and I would love to return the favor.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com