Thread: Rod Repair

Default Rod Repair

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to fly fishing. I love it and can't wait to get out and learn from all of my mistakes...

Anyway, I have an old 5 weight rod wih a brkoen tip. Does anybody know where I can it repaired or where I can buy a repair kit?

Default how much of the tip is gone?

If you have more than a foot or so of the tip broken off, casting and fishing with it will be different than intended . However if you're just getting into fly fishing and don't want to put a lot of money into it now, learn to live with it as a shorter rod. It is very difficult to put the broken piece back on and hope that it will stay there.

The diameter of the tip of a rod can vary a lot and the piece that fits over the end of the rod comes in many sizes to fit them. All you need to do is to get a tip-top that will fit over the "new" tip. Most fly shops will do this repair for you for a few bucks

Meinanut, welcome aboard! Can you tell us how much of the tip was broken off?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Rod Repair.....

Hey Meinanut,..... Good question/subject. It would seem that you have a decision to make. First, is the rod worth repairing (is this a name brand rod or a cheapie) If the rod is a name brand, you may be able to send the tip back for replacement for a small fee (shipping, etc.). I've dome this before with a Sage tip and was very satisfied with the product and service. You can call or E-mail the maker and find out the details for return of the tip section.

On the other hand, if the rod is a cheapee,... the choices are limited. First, you might consider buying a new rod. If that is not a viable choice for you, take a look at the tip section. Anything more than 6" missing off of the tip-top is not really good/usable. If the break is closer to the ferrule, you have an entirely different problem that may or may not be solvable.

You've said that you're new to fly fishing. Trying to cast with an artificially shortened rod may be Ok for an experienced caster but not for a beginner. It's really not worth the hassle.

Personally, I would opt for the replacement of the tip section by the maker (if that is a possibility).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Tip Repair?

Hi Meinanut,

It kind of depends also where you live. I fix them all day long and most fly rod tips cost about a $1.69 to $2.00 and we install them free. That's in Yuba City.

If you're out of the area, check with any bait and tackle store around you or you can do it yourself with a hot glue stick and some sort of flame. It's not hard.
    TONY

It's less than inch of the tip that has broke off. I bought this rod at a garage sale about a year ago. I have a new one that I use right now, which is an 8 wt.

The broken one is a 5, I thought I would use it for trout in the mountain lakes and streams. btw, I live in Sacramento.

Thanks for all the help.

Default Rod Repair....

Sounds like all you have to do is glue on a new tip top guide. Since you live in Sacramento, you can get that type of guide by taking your tip section to Kiene's and having them give you a correct size tip top guide. Then you can glue it yourself or have them do it for you.....

Good Fishin'
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Default Broken Tip

Meinanut...I did basically the same thing with my 6 wt. Got it snapped by my van window (Remember to breakdown you rod(s)) My local fly guy showed me how to repair it. Heat the eye piece and the broken rod portion will slide out...super glue the "new" tip into the eye...put a smidge of glue around the base. Presto! Almost as good as new. Hope that helps. Or, you can have the fine folks at Kienes show you their selection Bwup!