Thread: Small creek Report

Default Small creek Report

Beautiful day.I started fishing at 12:30. Good thing I had some chores early.I still got in 7 hours fishing. I sliped on a hard mud bank and went in up to my arm pits.I was wet wading so it felt good.The problem,My keys were in my shirt pocked.Yes! electronic alarm type. I was way up a little road where no one would find me for weeks. The alarm went off when I used the key to get in. And that locked the ignition so the car wouldn't start.I finally got it going.
    Now for the good part. Landed so many fish I quit counting. A guess would be well over 35. I think about 12 or 13 were big enough to give a good fight. The biggest about 13". Most were near 9 or 10".
    All on drys.
    Another fun day in the Sierras.

Sturmer, Sounds like a really cool day, some excitement and a lot of catching too. Good thing you not break anything. Seems like I fish alone a lot and usually do a face plant before its over. Broke my big toe last year. Its probably better to go with a buddy but that can't always workout so be careful and tell some where you are going. Tight lines HC

Yeah! HC
    My problem is I don't plan things out in advance very well. I desided to go like the night before. That doesn't give people much chance to plan. That's just me. Go on a wim. You are right about letting someone know where you will be though.

Default Dries or Nymphs?

A great report! My buddy and I are heading up for two days of fishing tomorrow. I was just curious whether you used dries, nymphs, of a mix. Any hints as to which flies were most productive would be great as well. Thanks.

Hey Chemdoc
    Size 14 Renagades took most of the biggest fish late in the day (6:00 to 7:30)
    From noon til then #14 Royle wolf,#14 caddis green and adams.All dries.
    The fish aren't too fussy.Just get the fly in the hot spots.
    Small stream fishing means a lot of different kinds of casts and watching where all the trees and bushes are around you. Bill loves selling flies to nubie small stream guys. Somrtimes the bushes bite better than the fish.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I have lost my share of flies in trees, especially in Putah Creek. Hopefully we will have even half the success you did.