Thread: Putah Creek Report 7-18

SullyTM Guest

Default Putah Creek Report 7-18

Got up at dawn and decided to ditch the "Honey-Do" list for the AM and headed up to Putah Creek for my last trip there for the Summer! Was on the H2O by 6:30AM and had the entire creek to myself...I used my 4 wt outfit and started flipping flies. NOTHING! For some reason I'm relunctant to use x-tra small flies...call me old fashioned, or just stubborn, but anything smaller than a #20 doesn't appeal to me. Finally I put on a MSP-styled Poopah(no antennae)#16 with a silver bead and pearl mylar shank and had 3 hits, but nothing stayed on...Moved up the creek to a nice stretch of wadable water and my Poopah worked its magic! Caught a nice little trout...I brought out 2, 10 gallon trash bags of bottles and cans(coulda' been more) and hit the road home at 10:30...only to be caught in the Highway 80 20 mile back-up due to a fatal semi truck accident...3 hours later I pulled into my driveway!

Tight lines...

You're a good man for taking out the trash Sully

Glad you could get out.

Poopah power
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

SullyTM Guest

Default Putah

Adam...thanks. I know it's not always possible to bring out any trash but I usually devote some time to doing it. Heck, there's fly tying material $$ in it for me :lol: Oh, two other items. Does anyone have a pattern for a red dragonfly/damsel? I saw dozens of them!!

And, the New Zealand Mud Snails are everywhere at Putah. I pulled out a beer can and half of it was covered with them. I carefully placed the can in a ziplock baggie. I was a mad scientist last night coming up with ways to kill them!!! Yes, I double cleaned my boots and waders...Bwup!

Hi Thom! Sounds like you had a good time! Appreciate the tips on the Poopah and very impressive of you to be walking out with trash.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Kill those NZMS's ten times, theier hearty little buggers

Glad to hear that you killed them twice,very important not to spread those devastating buggers around.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member