Thread: Report from the Upper Sac

Default Report from the Upper Sac

Well, I just got back today from a couple of days fishing the Upper Sac and as luck would have it, I went on the two hottest days in recent history. Man, it was cookin' out there! I was standing in the middle of the stream, and even the non strenuous task of tying on a new fly had me literally dripping! Saturday night was just the beginning. Sunday in Dunsmuir, it was 104. I could go on, but you get the picture.
    According to a very nice guy who's name I didn't get, at Ted Fay's shop, it is what he called "dog day afternoons." Nymph fishing till about noon and then dry flies starting at about 6PM. The best bite was a half hour before dark. He was right, three of the four fish I caught were at that time. That was at Soda Creek. A nice spot with easy access and room for a newbie to cast.
    I had a great time standing in the water watching the moon come up over the mountains and watching an Osprey flying about. I gotta do more of this!
    One more thing, I have to put a plug in for The Fly Shop in Redding. I was helped by a fellow named Sandy and his help and advice was exactly what I needed to know. I learned quite a bit about fly fishing in the 45 minutes or so that I spent there. They are right off the freeway in the south part of Redding and you can see their sign from the freeway. Check em out.
    I'm headed up there again for the first two weeks in August with my wife and son but I usually get in quite a bit of fishing. I'll keep you all posted. I'm still working on the fish photo for my avatar.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com

Thanks for the reoprt.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Alastair, nice report, thanks! Couldn't agree more that some of the nicest things about fly fishing are the places and things you get to see and experience. That and the many good folks you get to spend time with.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.