Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Fork of the Yuba River now....................

Default North Fork of the Yuba River now....................

Bob Giannoni just returned from the NF fishing for 3-4 days near Sierra City.

Bob said he had dry fly fishing mid-day.

This means that the NF is super prime right now.

It should be real good for a few weeks now.

I would phone in sick and leave tomorrow.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fished it this weekend as well so here's a quick report

the bug activity is significantly down over prior years, probably due to the near flood waters this spring....almost no flies coming off even in the hour before dark, which is amazing to me. Very sporadic yellow sallie hatch and a few caddis, but not enough to get the trout up.

Of course, they will rise to a dry fly even if nothing is coming off, but in general, only the small ones were rising. Elk hair caddis with a small dropper worked well

fish seem much smaller on average this year.....others have said the same, but it seems to be true...I caught one 16"er but most were below 10". All of these fry fish bode well for the future, though. Always use barbless hooks... always (maybe I'm preaching to the choir)

the best fishing seems to be above Downieville where the water level is just about right, but the mosquitos were horrendous, at least where I fished

walked up Pauley and Lavezzola Creeks during the day and had more dry fly opportunities, all small fish as well, but fun and cooler than the main river

seems to be more miners and less fisherman on the river this year

temps remain hot so bring plenty of water....it was in the 90's this weekend and it can wear you out fast if you aren't hydrated

tight lines

I did not mention that Bob said the fish were smaller than normal but really fun on a very light 3/4 weight rod.

Bob was wondering if the higher water blew the bigger fish down stream?

I heard this happens in New Zealand during big floods.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Big Fish???

Wonder what affect the increase in the number of placer mining locations is having on the fishery Gotta be disturbing a lot of habitat for bugs/fish Plus, a lot of those guys're grouchy I used to fish the No Fork below Hwy 49 and encountered a guy who said I had waded into his claim. He was waiving a rifle around and sounding irrational. So I got out of there, quick....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I thought navigable waterways were open to the public?

Who's the forum's lawyer?
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

I've heard the same thing Darian. I don't think I would react well to that kind of sh$% though. Public access should be tolerated even if it's "their" claim and you're just fishing through. It's a public area and they should realize that they may have a rightful claim to collect gold but that doesn't give them the right to wave guns around and threaten people who are just enjoying the outdoors.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Mining Claims....

Hey guys,.... If I recall correctly, that part of the Yuba is not a navigable river. It's above two dams; isn't influenced by tidal forces and there're no destinations for commercial products (e.g. log mills, etc.).....

Mining claims are governed by federal law (passed in the mid 1800's). Generally, miners (whether placer or lode types) have the right to protect their claims from trespass or removal of minerals under that law. Given the sketchy background of law enforcement in that county, I wouldn't give 'em a reason to come looking for me.....

Anyway, my day was spoiled by the confrontation, so I left the river and found some Irish medicine in a Nevada City establishment. Nice place to stay and the incident was quickly forgotten. Now, I just avoid the area. Too bad it's very good looking water (....better than up river)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darien, I concur and you did the right thing getting out of there. Some folks are just plain crazy. Alls I know about mining claims is that they can be bought and sold just like real property. But, Its better than getting shot at like I did. Maybe I happened on a "plantation" I never went back to find out! This was on the Clavey. HC

Default Plantations, etc.

HC,.... Havin' somebody shootin' at you'll flat out make you clean out your drawers when you get back to the car. Glad you weren't hurt....

I always figure it's better not to make those types nervous and find another place to fish.... So far, I've never carried a piece while fishing and really don't want to start. Makes me nervous and maybe one of those druggy/bomb building Bubba's might want to try to take it from me....

Author unknown

With all due respect gentlemen,
    If you guys are serious that people have waved guns in the air and have shot at you while you were fishing you owe it to yourselves and your fellow fishermen to report the offending individuals to the authorities. Seems to me a person that out-of-touch with reality needs an attitude adjustment from the cops. Please, if that ever happins again, turn them in maybe they won't be so bold the next time someone stumbels upon their miserable glory hole. I'd do it for you.
    V/R
    2short