Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Port of Sacramento -

Default The Port of Sacramento -

Greetings all -

I've been working ( ) in west Sac for the past week installing a Bar - quite a change from my usual installing a hangover at the Bar ...

Anyways ...

At the end of Harbour Blvd. , there is a huge rice-loading machine of some sort , a large waterway w/ rip-rap and a dock w/ wooden pilings . Has anyone ever fished that spot ?? Is it legal ?? There's just enough room to pull off the road and launch a float-tube , buy I don't want to contend w/ a group of crankey longshoremen-type savages throwing rocks because I'm not supposed to be fishing there .

And info would be helpful !! Thanks

David

David,

that is the deep water channel isn't it? Are you talking about where harbor ends at industrial??

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Harbor/Deep Water Channel....

Hey guys,..... I used to belong to the Washington Outboard Motor Club who had a facility inside a locked gate thru the log storage dock not too far from the current Post Office. If it still exists and they haven't changed the lock, I have a key to the gate. There was a launch ramp in there (this was during the early '80s....).

A lot of people fished that area for "schoolies"; usually from a boat or shore. Of course, that was before the advent of Homeland Security.... I read somewhere, that the harbor area is closed to entry, now. Not sure about this, tho. The harbor area may have slow enough water to make the use of a float tube OK, but the channel is dangerously fast during tidal flows. Periodically, a freighter'll come thru and set up a wake from the bow that can exceed 10' in height. Cars/people have been washed into the channel at those times. Nearly had it happen to me....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Jeff - I have NO IDEA what is what out in west Sac ... Do ya have any after-work plans tomorrow ( Friday) ??

Darian - Homeland Security ?!? WTF ?? I'm going to 'blow-up' a friggin' rice mill and a dock w/ my Float-tube ? Paranoia is rampant in this country .... The 10 foot wake is a little more serious - Maybe I'll pass on that plan .

That dock sure did look good , though -

David

Just make sure you don't take any pics of something that would not be interesting to the general public. I hear that can get you into trouble these days.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Yep, that's right David, you might be mistaken for a suicide tuber.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

suicide tuber, that's a good one!

Default "Suicide Tuber"

I can see it now.... David gets up in the AM and has a breakfast including refried beans.... Then goes down to the harbor and launches in his float tube. Later, a pressure buildup occurs and thru a massive release, David becomes the first astronaut to launch using a self propelled vehicle to achieve orbit.... (The Blazing Saddles campfire scene wouldn't hold a candle to this :P :P )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I want front row seat for the launch or maybe back row if his fuel of choice is refried beans

John

Default Re: "Suicide Tuber"

Quote Originally Posted by Darian
    I can see it now.... David gets up in the AM and has a breakfast including refried beans.... Then goes down to the harbor and launches in his float tube. Later, a pressure buildup occurs and thru a massive release, David becomes the first astronaut to launch using a self propelled vehicle to achieve orbit.... (The Blazing Saddles campfire scene wouldn't hold a candle to this :P :P )

Jeeeeez , have you been SPYING on me ??!??

it is a very well-known fact .... my favorite breakfast is Huevos Ben-day-hoes (two caseros tortillas , covered w/ refritos and chopped Chillies and cheese , on top of which are four fried over medium eggs ... all smothered w/ cheese and fresh chopped Chillies - served w/ several icy cold Beers or a quart of Mimosas ) .

Can you say 'self-propelled' ??

You learn very quickly that refried beans , tortillas , and cheese , along w/ Beers , are a staple of good , proper Bush cuisine - there are very few things that REALLY hit the spot while 'three-days-down' in camp Pit .

My friend Brad and I actually DROVE another friend out of the tent on an EPIC visit to Amador .... we had (This was a while back ....while in our late 20s ) consumed our entire four-day Beer supply overnight . That , on top of 'Camp-Potatos' , turned Ron C. green as grass - he slept in the dirt outside .... and didn't stir , as I went out and landed my biggest Bass ever (7 lbs. , 4 Oz.) in the morning .

Recipe for Camp potatos to follow ....

David