Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: State of Stripers....

Default Water Redux

WOW HC,.... you may be the only person I know that's as cynical as I am.... (Well maybe Geller is more cynical than we are.... :P )

Your observations about the San Joaquin River/area are right on point. As is your point about money influencing policy, etc.

The main point you make is that water quality is the key to survival of all species in the Delta and all of it's tributaries. I concur, here as well. However, you may not be giving us "who fish or live along the American River" enough credit for being able to assess the current state of environmental and political affairs at any level. I'm sure this feeling on your part is that we tend not to discuss problems associated with the San Joaquin, directly, if at all.

I can assure you that what is good for the San Joaquin is good for any body of water (especially the Delta/tributaries) and a bunch of us in this area make our livings and spend our recreational hours/dollars in those areas as well as in Sacramento.

I'm not sure that water law can be changed wholesale by anyone but collectively we can have an impact on how policies are viewed and/or established. Further, I believe that use of current laws, rules, policies to our benefit is possible (....but not by me alone or by my vote, alone) by adapting much as farmers/growers have done. Most fisherman I've encountered have a defeatist attitude towards problem solving and that's a sure way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (.... I didn't just say that did I )

While I'm an absolute believer that all of the current problems we face would be solved (....not to everyones satisfaction) if everyone voted, I'm not holding out much hope for that eventuality..... (Given that less than half of the eligible voters in this state actually register/vote and most of those voters are recently made citizens).

I guess I really wanna find some politician/policy maker who's A__ needs a good kickin' and kick it (figuratively of course ). Maybe I sould be thinking that we should find a politician who thinks like us and buy 'im.....

Man I gotta get off my soapbox here and go find a racquetball court....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I am not picking on the American River fishers, on the contrary, I envy them greatly. However, I think its human nature to avoid fruitless endeavor, and as a group fishermen rightly focus on waters where the fishing is good. This is fine and its what I do too. I just tried to point out that the overall health of the bay and delta waters can affect the quality of fishing for anadromous fish in an upstream paradise. Thats why I chose to talk about the San Joaquin. I am sorry if I came off bad on this. I think fly fishers are as an astute and vigilant bunch as any where water quality issues are concerned. The AR group is no exception. I was only hoping to convey the depth and scope of the problem giving the San Joaquin as an example of things gone wrong. I do hope things improve for the fish. Also I appreciate your stewardship in bringing up this very important subject of striped bass. I hope we always have them. HC

Default WheeEewww.....!!!

HC,.... I need to get off the caffeine form all of the ice tea/coffee.... Heat waves tend to do this to me..... :P

Believe me, I enjoy a good/lively debate/discussion but sometimes I get a little carried away. Hope I didn't lecture too much....

Your choice of the San Joaquin as an example is, without question, one of what will happen to all of the waterways in this state if we're not attentive/informed..... When I was about 12-14 years of age, I went with a family to the headwaters of the San Joaquin to fish for Trout. It was a beautiful place and good fishing. I wasn't old enough to appreciate/understand what wold occur when the river was cut-off by dams and virtually destroyed below them.... Now, I think I do....

During it's heyday, the fishing for Salmon/Steelhead/Trout/Stripers/Shad must've been absolutely wonderful.... What a completely needless loss....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default I'm Laughing

I must say that you all are pretty funny, or, more accurately, you make me laugh. I've heard and read any number of complaints about all species of fish, good and bad. I'm aware of the intent of the delta stamp and the withholding of the monies. I'm aware how many, many fish are killed by striped bass. I'm aware that Fish & Game want as many stripers taken legally and killed as possible. And I could go on and on and on as so many of you do. Do your best to clean up after yourself, revel in the nature around you, protect it as best you can, and quit worrying so much about what others are and are not doing. You'll live longer, be much happier, and do more good in the long run. Take a Midol and go fish instead of spending so much time preaching to the choir on a bulletin board.

Default Re: I'm Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson
    I must say that you all are pretty funny, or, more accurately, you make me laugh. I've heard and read any number of complaints about all species of fish, good and bad. I'm aware of the intent of the delta stamp and the withholding of the monies. I'm aware how many, many fish are killed by striped bass. I'm aware that Fish & Game want as many stripers taken legally and killed as possible. And I could go on and on and on as so many of you do. Do your best to clean up after yourself, revel in the nature around you, protect it as best you can, and quit worrying so much about what others are and are not doing. You'll live longer, be much happier, and do more good in the long run. Take a Midol and go fish instead of spending so much time preaching to the choir on a bulletin board.
    No comment - David

how about a second child tax like the Chinese used to use. All proceeds go to conservation. Or they had that other idea about drowning them ... well we'll save that one for later. ----- Any body can get a initative on the ballot these days all you have to do is dream up some doublespeak like "the new family values initative" and hang out in the mall.

-- hey these are fun

Default Comics????

Hi "jjohnson" and "Randy",.... Just a note let you know that someone is posting some off point stuff on this thread and using your ID's....

If you haven't got anything intelligent to contribute to the discussion you should choose to keep it to your self....

Author unknown

What a fun weekend .... eh , boys ??

Capt. Mike McKenzie will be along in a day or two to dish out the skinny on this situation .

Capt. Mike , along w/ Red Bartly (hope I got the last name right , Red ...) have been at the forefront of the water/striper/delta issues longer than just about anyone .

I've asked Mike to help us find some CONSTRUCTIVE ways to get in on the battle to sink the SDIP .... or at least give it a good try .

Off to take my Midol now ..... These cramps are KILLIN' me - :P

David

P.S. - Goodnight , jj .... sleep tight !

hey darian- sorry - your probably right. I'm with you, It's just that sometimes I think this state is going to grow until people turn on there faucets and no water comes out , but if everybody throws up there hands and says we're screwed I guess it will happen for sure.