Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbless Hooks on the American?????

Default Barbless Hooks on the American?????

I thought I'd throw this out,

Looking at the regs, can anyone clarify if the entire river requires barbless hooks? If I interpret the regs correctly, it would seem that barbless hooks are only required down to the SMUD power lines crossing at Ancil Hoffman park and from there on downstream barbed hooks are ok...

Just wondering if anyone knew for sure what the exact requirements are. I always assumed the entire river was barbless...

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

That is correct as far as I know.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Those regs are correct but it doesnt seem to me that they are followed throughout the year. I have seen numerous bait fisherman and snaggers using trble hooks and barbed hooks all year. I am not sure if these regs change at different times of the year?

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

just a general thought.....I've been fly fishing with barbless hooks for 15 years now and I would never go back to using barbed hooks

it's better on the fish and it's better for the fisherman..... a barbless hook sets better and stays in place during the fight (as opposed to a barbed hook that widens the hole as it twists and turns)

I've never felt that I lost a fish because my hook wasn't barbed

Good point norcalflyguy.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Special Regs....

After re-reading Sect. 7.50 of the Special Regs for the American River, I'm a little confused about the barbless hook requirement.

In the "Open Season" column, the requirement for river section (B) reads, " Jan. 1 through Sept. 14." Directly underneath the open season statement are the words, "Only barbless hooks may be used."

It seems to me that these statements could be read as separate statements or linked. If they're treated as separate, only barbless hooks may used at any time of the year for any species in that stated section of the river. However, if linked, the barbless requirement would only apply during the period from Jan 1 thru Sept. 14, in that section of the river....

Any ideas
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I say it shouldn't matter what the regs say. We all should be using barbless at all times on all waters anyway!

My $.05 worth
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Hey Darian,

If I understand correctly (the regs that is), when the season is closed then no fishing is allowed for any species so you really don't need to worry about what hooks your using. But during the open season, then barbless hooks are required on that section of the river. In the fine print it says that during a closure (even though it's for salmon/steelhead season) it is assumed that the season for all other species is closed as well.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Closed/Open Seasons....

Thanks Jeff,.... Makes sense to me. (....Gotta get a new pair of reading glasses )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I have been fish barbless sense 1975 and so I don't have to worry about getting a fine anywhere unless the stream/river/lake is closed?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........