Thread: Greetings From the Madison River Valley

Default Greetings From the Madison River Valley

I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been up in Montana for the last week or so in the Yellowstone area. I'm staying in a cabin ( Howlin' Mad Moon Resort) right off the Madison River just south of Quake Lake. I'm up here with my two boys for a couple weeks, going to the Missoula area on Friday. I haven't been able to fish as much as I wanted to but I hooked a couple brown's on the Madison at Three Dollar Bridge and landed one. The other one jumped out of the water and the hook got loose (didn't keep the line tight enough) I'll be working on some new waters tomorrow, and have a half day guide trip with Bob Jacklin on Thursday. I'll be checking out the Paws Up Ranch on the Blackfoot next week, and hopefully some other waters there too. On the way home, I'll be stopping in southern Oregon to pay a visit to Gary Anderson, and do a day or so of fishing there.

I'll post a little more when I get a chance.
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

if you are up for a hike, go into Yellowstone and hike into Slough Creek

it's some of the best fishing in the park

3 lb+ cuttbow hybrids on dry flies in a meadow setting surrounded by the white capped Absoroka mountain range

the fishing is spectacular, the scenery is spectacular, but you need to be in good shape to do it

Thanks for the tip. I was up in that area a couple days ago, but didn't really get into the good waters. My fishing partner (10 year old son) wasn't feeling well, so we decided to cut it short. It's amazing how big Yellowstone is too! Burned a half tank of gas just in the park that day. We did see some huge Buffalo herds in the meadows though, that was pretty cool!
    Gregg Machel

it's a 2 hr hike nto Slough and there are wolves and grizzlies in abundance (so be careful) but the fishing is incredible

think about doing it or talking to a fly shop to get directions

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/slough.asp
    http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/slough.html
    http://www.yellowstonenationalpark.com/sloughcreek.htm
    http://flyfishwestyellowstone.com/fl...ing_rivers.htm

Gregg,

I just returned from the Madison. We fished it on July 2nd through the 6th. The salmon fly hatch was just moving above Ruby Creek. (about 10 miles below Quake) We were throwing big bushy drowned stone patterns up under the willows and catching browns to about 4 lbs. We were in a drift boat, but much of the water we fished is wadable. In particular, I would park at the Palisades ramp (also called South Madison) and walk up about 1/2 mile. There is a little island there, with a boulder garden in the main channel. We took fish out of the boulder garden from IN FRONT of the rocks, and out of the back channel around the island.

The Madison is a super river.

I broke my dry spell tonight! Landed 2 14" Rainbows at the Madison River between Hebgen Dam & Quake Lake in the evening. Both on a dry fly, one local pattern, and an attractor. Just wanted to give a quick update. Tomorrow is a half day guide trip in Yellowstone park.
    Gregg Machel

Way to go. There is nothing better than catching nice trout on dry flies! I love Monatana, it is like the mecca of trout fishing!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com