Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity FF only waters

Default Trinity FF only waters

Fished the high flows of the Trinity this past weekend with my girlfriend. Halfway to Reddiing we realize that we forgot her wading boots Ended up at the Trinity Fly shop where Patty graciously offered us a loaner pair and pointed me to a bugger pattern that was hot (Thanks Patty!) . On to the the FF only water released some nice fish 14-16" on buggers stripped fast through a deep pool using the "hot" pattern and a type IV line. Later in the eddy on the opposite bank I released at least 10 "1/4 pounders" on a size 14 micro mayfly under an indicator in about a half hour hooked and lost about twice that much. Sunday headed down to Lewiston lake to check out the water and see some monster trout at Pine Cove Marina that they are releasingsometime in the next week in preparation for the upcoming derby (23 July) there were some enormous rainbows swimming in the pen waiting to be released. Largest is estimated to be about 17lbs. We went back to fish the same area as before and couldn't get any hits in the pool so we headed to a bend with another big eddy and wham my GF hooks and releases about 20 ten inchers in about an hour. fished this side out so we headed to the other side that looked equally good. Too bad we didn't have any large orange samonfly drys on us I think we would have had them on those after they hit my indicator twice and followed it a few more times. any way we did ok I caught a few on fast stripped bugger and she caught a few on a micro mayfly. Went back to the Trinity Fly shop and returned the wading boots. The low point happened later when we were looking at the water by Steel Bridge and saw a leader and swivel sticking out of our old dogs mouth. Damn power baiters must have left something on the ground. Ran over to the vet ER in Redding for a look and the Xrays revealed a size 4-6? size hook in his stomach. Dr assured us that he will pass it in a few days, I hope she's right, nothing in the morning poop.

BTW there was hardly anyone up there. I guess no one wanted to travel after the july 4th weekend
    "Fishing with bait is like paying for sex" unknown saltwater flyfisher

Good job. I guess the 'hot' pattern shall remain nameless(?)
    I wasn't aware there is a 'Fly only' section of the Trinity.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Nice report Brian Sorry bout the dog Fished that area once this time of year and expected to maybe get a Brown. My buddy and I ended up getting 4 Steelhead around 23" on Hornbergs of all flys. No Browns for you either I'm guessing.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Too bad about your dog Brian.

Don't have too much fun hunting for the hook

Thanks for the great report, sounds like you and the GF had a good time.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Chuck Campana's dog ate about a dozen steelhead flies he had just tied.

The vet said they would probably pass through.

They all did.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

And they never caught any steelhead!

I can hear the steelhead now, " Wow, that fly smelled like S*%# "
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

The "hot" fly is unnamed to me. It's tied at the fly shop up there. and the old dog is still holding on to the hook. X rays today seemed to indicate that it is just starting into the enter the intestine. we just hope it doesn't get stuck

The "hot" fly is unnamed to me. It's tied at the fly shop up there. and the old dog is still holding on to the hook. X rays today seemed to indicate that it is just starting into the enter the intestine. we just hope it doesn't get stuck

The SPCA recommends that all dogs be speyed.

(sorry - couldn't resist) :P :P :P :P :P

Not certain why this posted twice: I'm not THAT funny....