Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alaska trip

Eric, you REALLY need felt soles

Those rubber soles on those hipper will have you slip sliding away

As far as hippers go, most of us use chest high waders which can be rolled down above your hips to make wading PANTS. This change from chest to pants make them more versatile than hip waders. Hip waders limit the different types of water that you can cross and or fish.

Many fly fishermen do not frequently wade out to chest level. But when you need to reach a certain spot by wading accross the river or simply gain a better position by wading deeper chest waders are a great help.

Not matter what type of wading garment you purchase make sure the soles of your boot are FELT. Felt "grabs" the wet rocks, which can turn a day of slipping and slidding into a better sure-footed fishing experience.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I didn't think they would work too well but I was so shocked to even find them I figured I would pass the link along.

I think I am just going to live without waders. I can't justify the cost of custom for the amount I would be using them and the fishing I do around home just doesn't require them.

I hope this decision doesn't come back to bite me on my trip (not that it matters at this point since I can't get custom ones by the time I leave anyway)

-Eric

Good luck!

I hope you have a great trip.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Well, you probably have made the trip but I feel that I should post since as a size 16, 6'7" angler I know how frustrating shopping for waders and boots can be and thought maybe others might be having the same problem I've had in the past.

Dan Bailey makes high quality custom sized waders and carries boots up to a size 17. That's a real godsend for the big and tall.

I spent a week on Kodiak fishing out of Port Lions lodge last August and the waders and boots are absolutely required here. No problems with the Baileys though the wader price is quite high. I think around $400. Not that I have a choice anyway. The boots run around $90 - $100 which is not bad at all.

Good luck,
    Clif