Thread: AR - 5 Bill - 0 :)

Default AR - 5 Bill - 0 :)

It was a great but humbling experience on the AR. My first time out with my new 7 wt outfit from Kiene's ( thanks Jeff!) on the AR, I lost 1 clouser and 4 shad flies. First time out with a type 3 and 6 shooting head system. But it was still FUN!!! I've never fished such a large river before. The scenery was awesome and I felt that I had to cast everywhere since it all looked so "fishy". I feel truly blessed to be able to drive 15 minutes and fish this mighty river.

It sure beats fishing a gravel hole aka pay lake in SoCal.

Oh yeah, I caught several "skunk" fish and 1 stick fish.

Bill

Nice report Bill, we are blessed to have such a great river right in town. Hang in there, the fishing is a little tough right now. When things pick up you'll start getting some things figured out and realize what a truly great thing it is See ya on the river.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Good for you Billpu. Get some more "Wet Pinky" shad flies over at Kiene's and grab that type 6. Go to Rossmore or Sailor Bar and get on the water about 730 or 800 PM. The shad like a moderate flow so don't bother with water too slow. They are still in there and I you will hook up! Keep at it and you are in for a ton of fun once you learn a little more about the river.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will be out there again next week. I am taking a lesson on casting shooting heads from Andy Guibord Monday evening at Watt avenue. So maybe I'll be able to cast further than 9.5 feet.

BTW, are shad line shy at all? I'm using an 8 lb 9 foot leader for the shad flies. Should I go higher or lower?

Thanks.

Bill

Generally they are not leader shy. You'll probably need a 2x tippet or so to turn over those heavy bead eye flies. Most usually fish about 4 feet of leader including tippet with their sinking shooting heads so that the fly will get down. I think it's more imortant to get the depth, especially since the flows seem to be hanging around 3500 cfs lately.