Thread: Another Day on the "A"

Default Another Day on the "A"

Met up with Master Lee and Thom today and fished a few spots up and down the American. Let's keep this short, it kinda stunk We did get a few shad 'but not a whole lot going on where we fished. (Weather A+) (Fishing D) (Company A+) Good Day

Here are a few memories.

Thom and I getting a game plan together.

Thom with his first Shad

David couldn't decide to fish upstream or downstream so he did BOTH

Here's one David got that faught it's ASS off

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Check out the butt on that shad. Too boney for me

Nice pictures of some of our board regulars.

David, you're a crazy guy
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Man, David stripped that last one in with his TEETH, what an ANIMAL! I have much to learn. . . .

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun regardless. What weight rods were you guys using? And lines?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Default Shad On!

I'll add some info to Mike's report...I brought all my gear with me today, not knowing what the Dynamic Duo had up their collective sleeves. David had me on my 6 wt with a sinking line(which will eventually get replaced because it sucks ) I caught my shad using a Wet Pinky pattern I tied...yes Hairstacker, just like the one you have

It was windy all day, however, for someone like me I learned more about the American. David always likes to ask me at the end of the day, "What did you learn, Thom?" Hmmmm, I learned to "focus" on what is in front of me from MSP and if you don't have a poopah in your fly box, GET ONE ...From David, he always will look at what I'm doing and casually offer just enough advice toget me over the "hump."

The shad I caught were my first ever and my first fish ever landed on the American

We yucked it up...had some cold ones and scored a good burrito lunch. A good day with a couple of terrific anglers! Plus, Mike landed a sucker but don't tell anyone

Enjoy! Thom

As I sit here rehydrating (due to too much Sun/Beer ...) , I'm struck by several interesting observations ....

Shad , in the morning , can be VERY light biters .

Shad will move up and down (surface to bottom ) in the water - if all you have are fast-sinking lines , you will be 'out of it' .

Fresh Shad are much more fun than stale Shad .

Dead Shad are more than willing to ROCKET off the bottom to impale themselves on a #2 Clouser .

Both Mike and Thom got WAY MORE bites , and more fish to hand , then myself . To their credit , they earned them the hard way ..... they payed attention and worked hard .

Pretty cool stuff .... Thanks , Thom and Mike !!

David

Default HMMmmmmm.....

Hey David,..... After snagging that Shad , didja bite the tail off accidentally or on purpose.... :P :P
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I got out on Saturday late and hooked fifteen. I only landed 8 however. The first few were on Wet Pinkies, but the majority were on Chartreuse colored flies. The bite was very late probably didn't pick up until after 8 PM.

We're looking at the end of the run now , I think ...

The Shad that are in now , are 'stale' .. hard to get the BIG grab out of .

Please report all of the 30-fish evenings you've been having to prove me wrong ....

Jgoding and I will be at Gothe tomorrow night (Friday , July 15th) , please stop by and say hi if you're out -

David