Thread: thursday night feather report

Default thursday night feather report

Boy, the feather was absolutely on fire tonight between 6-7:30. Steelhead 14-2? inches rising all over the place. Only hooked one fish (on a 18 parachute adams) which broke me off, missed several rises. I wish I knew what fly they were taking. THey ignored the caddis fluttering around, and had a fish take a fly that was a couple of inches from my size 18 adams, the fly looked half the size of my fly. I figure the flies are brown/tan bodied, sized 18-22, whitish wing. I would almost describe it as boiling over with fish. IMO you need very light tippet, and very small flies. I need to get an aquarium net to get samples of these flies.

they're going for emergers. Try swinging a LaFontaine Caddis Emerger next time. You can sling your Elk Hair Caddis all you want but will only have meager results..

Quote Originally Posted by oonchie
    they're going for emergers. Try swinging a LaFontaine Caddis Emerger next time. You can sling your Elk Hair Caddis all you want but will only have meager results..
    Part of the time they might of, but they were breaking the water taking small mayflies. I bought a net, and took a sample, and their is a large hatch of mayflies, blue wing olives and blue winged mayflies with a amber body???? I have never heard of a mayfly with a amber body??

Before the hatch would a caddis emerger work for the bwo emergers?

Default The devil bug

One of my favorite flies for caddis is a devil bug: just deer hair on a hook. That bug worked when nothing else would and easy to tie. Simple is good....just like my mind.