Thread: Martis Creek Lake

SullyTM Guest

Default Martis Creek Lake

Has anyone got any information about Martis Creek Lake? Any camping locations? Mr. Grace has indicated to me that the area has some "potential"...Thanks. THom

I would camp as far away from the bulldozers as possible.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Bulldozers
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Martis

That area up there is exploding with growth and development, golf courses, vacation homes, etc. and I feel that its' days are numbered.

A few months back Ralph Cutter helped organize some ditch digging around the lake to help trapped fish return to the main lake after they got stranded during high water from run off.

Just across the highway (267) from the lake and creek is Northstar Ski Resort, a new high end housing development called Lahotan, and plans for lots more housing around the lake in the near future. The entire Truckee area is expanding like crazy.

Sad. Enjoy it while you can.
    TONY

I was talking with one of the guys at Truckee River Outfitters in Truckee a week ago.

There is a campground right at the lake.

He mentioned that they were over there digging out the weeded up channels at the south end of the lake where the stream comes in.

He also said there were 3 different species of small fish/perch that were pretty much eating all the insects so the trout are actually eating the perch now.

They have special streamers, The Stanley Steamer, at their fly shop in Truckee for this.

The said their favorite close lake is Stampede on the west end where the tributaries come in.

Davis lake and Frenchman lake are good now too.

http://www.kiene.com/reports/lakes/martis.shtm

Our Repots page for Martis Lake
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Re: Martis

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich
    That area up there is exploding with growth and development, golf courses, vacation homes, etc. and I feel that its' days are numbered.

A few months back Ralph Cutter helped organize some ditch digging around the lake to help trapped fish return to the main lake after they got stranded during high water from run off.

Just across the highway (267) from the lake and creek is Northstar Ski Resort, a new high end housing development called Lahotan, and plans for lots more housing around the lake in the near future. The entire Truckee area is expanding like crazy.

Sad. Enjoy it while you can.
    TONY
    a year old article:
    http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html...5/10/41691.php
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Bill, I was fishing martis Creek Lake for trout afew years back and was surprised to catch a few Sacramento Perch right on the face of the dam. Pretty little fish. HC