Thread: Drift Boat(s)

Default Drift Boat(s)

Anyone have, or had one that can provide some pro's/con's; do's/don'ts or recommendations, things to consider, etc.?

Just toying with the idea of picking up a used one, but would like to hear your experiences before I just jump in.

Thanks guys
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

They are a great style of boats.

Unless you anchor quite a bit, someone has to be at the oars the whole time because they are so maneuverable the oarsmen must keep the boat srtaight or else it will spin and pivot like crazy.

Great way to drift slower than the current.

I love to fish from a boat, but I hardly ever row
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Digger - Just purchased my first boat ever in Feb. It was an 2005 Hyde Pro series w/ the G4. I love the boat..!!

I'm a rookie on the oars, so I haven't taken her out as much as I should be - for good reasons.

Saftey for me is paramount. Before I even decide on taking any of my loved ones or friends on any float, I have to learn all the worse case scenarios in rowing. It's just that simple, and to understand that a rookie rower has at least this much of a learning curve in a live river, will make you a better and responsible rower.

Your humbled at times in learning that you are the motor and the rudder of this vessel at times. Rowing your self in a drift boat is a trick to learn in itself.

My best advice to you is learn your capabilities and get behind the oars in a lake first to learn the basic oar strokes, and the managibility of the wieght of the boat. This will determine if you want a 7 to 800 pound aluminum boat, or a Fibergalss 3 - 400 pound w/ some fancy anti rock shock coating for the bottom.

Even though there is not much literature in rowing - Hyde has an oustanding video in how to row a drift boat. Watch and practice it religiously.

Get a well seasoned guide to teach you on your waters. Or someone who has been behind the oars a while.

Get out and practice..!

Pro's = You can fish water that no one else can.

Con's = Not enough hours in the day.

Happy shopping, and safe drifting. -RR
    Ray Rivera

Digger - forgot to mention that Hyde has a special rowers school as well for beginners as well as seasoned vets. If your a seasoned rower already, sorry for all the jargin, just wanted to share all that I have gone through so far.

I'm giving myself at least 6 more months of practice rowing on classless waters before I go to the school myself.

Take Care -
    Ray Rivera

Hey there Digger!
    Man I envy you. I owned two different Drifters when I lived in Georgia and half the fun is picking out which one is for you. They're fun low maintenance craft that can take your fishing to a different level and different places. These are the pro's and con's as I saw them. This is only my opinion since I'm new here and don't know the commonly drifted rivers I'll stick to boat issues.
    Pro's:
    Highly manuverable & stable- For extended trips you can car-camp from your boat. Bring all the things that make your camping comfy, want a cooler full of beverages, a double burner stove (coffie and pancakes at the same time, yummy), camp chairs ect. go ahead your drifter will carry it all plus you and a friend. It's great for dogs to. It can carry all that and still weave through the "stair steps" (a gnarly rapid back home) with no problem. If your not in the guide buisness you might consider getting a bench style storage seat in the back of the boat. I found it extremly useful when it was just me and a buddy on the river, I'd give him the front swivel seat and when I wasn't at the oars I'd stand up on the bench seat and fish, it gave me a better veiw and extend my casting range, plus the storage under the seat gives you well more storage.

Low maintenance- The only thing you need to do at the end of a trip is hose it off, pull the drain plugs, and tilt-er back. I would recommend getting a cover for your boat if it doesn't come with one. Prolonged exposure to the sun ain't good. Also the cover needs to breath or else it will promote mold growth.

Fun- lots and lots of fun. Enables total river exploration you can go out and find your own honey-holes your in charge so check out all those spots you thought held fish but were out of reach of the bank. If the fishing went soft and the sun is beating down anchor-up and go for a swim, the things are so stable my 220 lb buddy Scott could haul his carc-ass back in without flipping us over. Also its fun to ride the anchor down. Simply find a deep pool (not deeper than your anchor rope is long) jump in grab the A rope and have your friend send you to the bottom. Wheeeeee!

Cons:
    Increased logistical support- to run a drift boat you've got to figure out how to get your boat-trailer to the take-out-point. This usually involves two vehicles, cash for a shuttle or cash for a taxi. Either way you get the idea.

Recommendations: ONLY MY OPINION
    Know the river- you shouldn't drift a river without getting a little pre-float intel. Sometimes it's as easy as asking at the local flyshop. My recommendation is to float the river with someone who has already been down it in a drift boat. You need to know info like if there are any gnarly rapids and the best ways to set-up for them ie right-side, left-side, watch out for the big hydrolic at the bottom, that kind of thing. And have a firm understanding of where the take-out point is.

Anchor- Get the depth-charge looking anchor. The lead pyramid ones stick in the rocks.

Anchor system- side anchor system (as opposed to the floor anchor system) I've heard that the floor anchor systems can some times get clogged w/river weed because the weed will get pulled into tube that goes under the decking of the boat. Also w/the side anchor system you can pull up the anchor from an upright seated position nice for those of us w/sensitive backs.

Well that's all I could think of hope it helps.
    2short

Thanks guys, that's all good stuff. I'm clueless about boats.
    After a while you feel that you need access to more spots, and I certainly cannot afford a motorized version. Nor do I want all that goes with a powered boat.

I figured there was more to it than just jumping in and rowing, that would be too simple. But when you watch these guys on tv, it seems so easy.
    So, yeah I think I'll defintely have to go on one with someone who's been doing it awhile.

Ray- the school sounds like the thing for me too.
    2short- that's really good info, gives me more to consider.

anything specific to look for on a used boat?
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Digger

On Aluminum boats check the bottom integrity, and most important the integrity of the chines (where the sides of the boat are welded to the bottom where it forms the sqare or rounded angle).

On Fiber Glass check the overal body and interior state of how the fiberglass feels. Make sure it's not wheather beaten, rough to the touch on the inside, and gritty or unsmooth on the outside.
    Also of course check the bottom and chines as well.

Most name manufactures have a tune-up price and cosmetic service. The only drawback is that you meet a truckdriver somewhere in the region, they pick up the boat, work on it, then deliver it back at a truck stop near you or of thier choosing.

As far as accessories, oars, and such :

9.5 foot oars - prefferably counter-balanced (Less fatigue)
    Spare oar - just in case
    Life vest - 1 for each passenger (Test them in a pool near you)
    First Aid Kit -
    Rope -
    PFD w/ a rope attached - just incase you see a fellow angler in trouble or buddy that fell in.
    Flash light
    flare's

Hope this helps - RR
    Ray Rivera