Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Box Strategies

Slack, I REALLY love those C&F "System" fly boxes too

The best box system that I have ever used, hands down.

Well worth the extra price Near $40.

I actually have that "mothership" box, if you are refering to the thin, clear 6-insert holder case from C&F. Mine is not full yet but I'm working on it.

Below is a link to the S.A. site, they import and distribute the C&F products. At the bottom of the page is the "mothership" which they call a "System Fly File"

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...s_filing.jhtml

C&F make great products. Below is another link to some more of their cool fly boxes.

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...xes_page.jhtml

S.A. just came out with a cool box of their own called the "System X" which retails for $19.95. This new box is waterproof, has clear lids for easy fly selecion, nice non-slitted foam(different than the C&F foam) and interchangable inserts. Below is a link for those boxes.

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc..._systemx.jhtml

I good fly box makes fly storage much easier and more enjoyable, Don't cha think
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I love those CF boxes! I use the big saltwater box for steelhead flies and the smaller boxes for others. I do things a bit differently. With the exception of the big steelhead box and a single large multi compartment dry fly box, when I head out I grab a CF box that is loaded up for an intended species but has back up flies for other things that might come up. For example, when I shad fish I carry a box that has a bunch of shad flies but also a few weighted nymphs and dries for half pounders. When chasing half pounders in the late summer I carry a box that has mostly wets, nymphs and dries with a few steelhead flies, just in case. In the fall and winter I carry a CF box with mostly steelhead flies but also a few nymphs and dries, just in case. When I'm hardcore steelie chasin the big box rides in a flats pack on my belt. I basically spey cast to everything so it's a matter of changing tips and leaders and I can fish a lot of situations most days with only 1 box in my shirt pocket.

I need a good box for tube flies.....

Moose, Good luck finding a good manufactured tube fly box. Jeff putnam custom made himself a pretty cool box, ask to see it sometime. Jeff likes to show people his custom box, because he's a JERK!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I like fly boxes for the library effect, and cosmetics once they are in order.

But if ya have sausage fingers like mine, digging in that nice nymph box that Adam showed us is where my problem begins.

For every fly I have to use out of a box thats smaller than 14, I lose 3..

I have to practice that gracefull pinch one fly method I see the pro's use.

A good hat is where I pin my flies... Don't have to worry about the micro spacing.. Plus it's handy in identifying which flies didn't work during a run. Good flies stay on the right - Bad on the left.

But I do use a streamer box. Yep-I'm pretty good in picking those out of the box.
    Ray Rivera

Hey rrivera-

Have you ever tried using your forceps to grab the flies. I know with tiny midge patterns (sizes 20 +) anyone's fingers become hot dogs.

The curved nose forceps work best for me.

And for tying micro midge patterns I use a tie-right tool. I'm sure you can find one at Bill's shop. They come in several sizes too.

RdC

I'm kinda like Adam, I like to stuff as many flies as possible into a box. These three are my main boxes for the valley rivers. I also have midge box that I haven't used since I moved here 2 1/2 years ago. The Steelhead box and Striper box are not used a whole lot either Just switched into the dry box and realized it's much larger than what I was using. Nothing special for boxes, just something to hold a few flies. I have to keep it down so it will fit into the fanny pack Had to quit using vests because I would fill every nook and cranny and it got a little heavy I am getting old

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Good looking fly collecetion Mike. Looks like a lot of caddis. You must fish the American and Yuba a lot huh?

Jason Hartwick

Once in a while Jason
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike