Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Box Strategies

Default Fly Box Strategies

In the May 2005 issue of Fly Fisherman there is an article by John Barr titled Barr's Box. If you didn't see it, Barr describes in detail-photos and all-what flies he carries and how he organizes them among several boxes.

He has a Nymph box, Dry box, Streamer box, and a Stillwater box.

I am trying to determine what the most effective and effecient way to organize all of my flies might be. I have come to the following conclusions about the strategies one might employ when organizing their fly boxes.

1. By fly type: Dries,Nymphs,Emergers,Streamers,Attractors
    2. By water type: Streams,Rivers,Lakes,Tailwaters
    3. By Insect: May Fly, Caddis, Stone,etc
    4. By Geographic Location: New Zealand (yea right, like I've ever fished there ) Sierras, Rockies, Smokies, etc.

I usually approach the water and watch for clues and then think what fly would be best. Sadly, only after a few explatives and accusations can I usually can find this fly .

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would work best on the stream for me. I plan on testing variuos strategies each season.

But, I am curiuos what strategy works for you and why

Thanks
    RdC

Default Organization....

Hey Slack,..... Intended use dictates what's in my box on the water. If I'm Striper fishin' those flies are what's available. Likewise for warmwater species and Salt/freshwater Salmon/Trout..... I'm a believer in KISS (Keep It Simple S_____ ) .

Used to take a hundred fly types/flies in anticipation of whatever and whenever. My experience from all of that is that you can't do justice to all of 'em on one trip. I've learned over the years that you only consistently fish flies that you have confidence in. No need to take along a bunch more unless trying to test or develop a new pattern.

The number of flies is another matter. If the chance of loss of flies is high (e.g. Saltwater or Baja), carry larger numbersof the flies that work....

Keep a neat box so that there won't be a need to utter expletives before being able to find a particular fly :P :P :P :P
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Salck, I use a very similar fly organiztion as John Barr.

1. A box for dries, light in color to represent a light dry fly.

2. A box of nymphs, dark in color for heavy.

3. A streamer box that fits longer streamers, clear with long compartments.

4. A Threader box for my midges.

Since I use the C&F system Boxes (interchangable inserts) I can switch the inserts from trout nymphs to large stealhead nymphs or stillwater nypmhs.

I change dry flies like this, summer patterns, spring patterns and winter/fall patterns.

The interchangable insert system works great and it minimizes the amount of boxes laying around.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Ah, fly organization. . . . Great question! I pretty much follow Darian's and Adam's strategies: different sets for different fish species and, for species with many types and patterns like trout, I separate storage by type of fly (drys, nymphs, streamers, etc.). In contrast, all bass flies fit in a single box.

Within the nymph category, I separate primarily between mayflies and caddis and, within the nymph box, I assign hook sizes to rows. That way I know, regardless of pattern, what size hooks are in various rows. This saves me time looking for, say, a size 16 pheasant tail, because I know ALL size 16 mayfly nymph patterns are assigned to a couple of specific rows.

I also try to limit the number of patterns I carry. For example, for largemouth bass, I rely on 3 patterns. I will have to find or invent a pretty darn effective pattern before I'll be willing to expand it to 4 patterns.

For bluegill, redear sunfish, etc., I limit myself to 2 patterns.

For stripers, I currently rely on 2 patterns. And so it goes.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I usually just group my flies into separate boxes by species. Like all my steelhead flies in one, bass poppers in another, clousers etc.

Default Fly Disorganization

For what it's worth, i usually just organize my flies by which trip they were hurriedly purchased for and store them in the original crinkled cups from the fly shop in random vest pockets.

from my experience this provides several advantages:
    - i can rarely find any of the flies i need and when i do it's only after several minutes of unproductive time on the water
    - when you do find the fly they are easily dropped or whipped away by any wind
    - these containers break down nicely to ensure that half of the flies end up crushed or hung up on the inside of my vest pocket flap
    - have no frickin' idea what i actually have, so i buy the same flies over and over again for each trip

i have found this method convenient, efficient and cost-effective

sorry. not really that far from the truth. on vacation for a few days so i'm starting out with some levity.

good fishing to all . . .

bp
    Wishin' I was a Fishin'

Default Organization?????

Hey bp,.... Thanks, that's a good one (not so far from the truth) . Hope you have a good vacation.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think that there are some great different ways for each person to store your flies. The largest seperating factor is, how many flies do you have in possesion. I have been fly fishing for quite a while and I tie most of my own flies therefore I have quite a large selectin of flies. Therefore I need more ways to organize them. That's why I use multiple boxes and multiple inserts.

I forgot to mention another way I organize flies. I have an 18 compartment clear box ( like the boxes Bill Kiene sells his flies in) which I keep my super seasonal flies. Flies like Green Dreake's, Hex's, Isonycia's, October Caddis and so on. These are fly patterns for great exciting super seasonal hacthes. I have decide that I will not spend the money for extra inserts just for a 3 week long hatch that I might fish once or twice.

I love the 18 compartment box for storing my "super seasonal" flies.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Organizing flies?

Organizing flies??? Hell I'm lucky to have my fly zipped up when leaving the house!!!
    I used to give my buddy Phil a ton of flies until I saw his fly box. I knew where the #22 chronies where...embedded in the marabou plume of a #2 sculpin!!! Told him there would be no flies unless he bought new boxes and tried just a little to keep the big from the small, the dries from the wets. He did...then he dropped the box in the water and it floated straight to HELL!!! And people wonder why I have a drinking problem.

Saaawwweeeettt Photos Adam

I am using a very similar system with the CF design boxes. I really love those boxes.

I am thinking about buying a huge adjustable clear resin box that wil act as the mother ship of all my boxes and limit myself to 2 boxes on the water. Then, for each outing make a visit to the mother ship box and adjust my patterns as necessary.

The more I fish the less crap I like to haul around. I like hairstacker's way too - 1 or 2 patterns for each species. However, if the bite is on, I like to try really funky stuff to see what I can get away with - like purple and light blue softhackles.
    RdC