Thread: American Steelhead #2

Default American Steelhead #2

Hi all,

Thanks to all who have given the great tips on stripers. I’ve been out a few times and had a blast. (Flyguy- nice meeting you last night and thanks for all the valuable info)

I’m not sure how to post photos yet, but for now- below is a link to two catches the 4th of July.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jason....zPuQDBMZYKZc35

#1. I haven’t had a chance to look up the species, but I believe it’s a steelhead that went after a small deceiver. (I haven’t had a chance to memorize steelhead vs salmon characteristics, so any help identification would be great). Needless to say, I was shocked to have a fish sky out of the water thinking I had a striper on.

#2 is my 3rd personal catch for striper. My second rod section starts at 21.5 inches, so lets call it 20 inches to be safe. According to the Striped Bass Calculator (http://www.stripersurf.com/basscalcpop.html), the range is from 4.0 pounds to 5.5 pounds. Is this called a “scoolie” or the “acceptable size to talk about” category? If not, what size would that be?

Regards,

JB

Nice fish JB!!

Now since you are no longer a "newbie", you must tell me exactly where you were and exactly what you were using to score on those nice fish!!!

Just kidding, nice catch!!

Bill

JB, I tried to post your picture from your Yahoo photo album and failed.

I use an easy way to post pictures from a free website, www.photobucket.com (PB).

First you have to open up two internet browsers, one for Kiene's board, the other for PB

On PB download the picture you want to post onto this board, click and highlight the contents of the box labeled Img under the picture in PB. The “Img” box is the last box under your PB picture.

Then right click on the highlighted text and copy it.

Now paste that address onto your board post that is started on the other Internet browser.

After you post the link you should click on preview at the bottom of your post to make sure that the link worked.

This process is easier than opening an image link and closing that link through the Kiene’s board.

PM me with your phone number if you have any questions and I will walk you through the process. It is easier to describe over the phone
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Good job !

Nice place to play .... isn't it ??

#1 - I say Steelhead - they are pretty friskey when it comes down to chasing small fish ..... and small flies .

#2 - Striped Bass in the American come in many sizes ...

3-inch to 14-inch are called Diaper-Stripers . :P
    15-inch to around 6 lbs. are called Schoolies .
    7 lbs. to 15 lbs. are called 'Nice Fish' !!
    16 lbs. to 29 lbs. are called MOE
    30 lbs. to 49 lbs. are called the fish of a lifetime
    Any Stripe over 50 lbs. is called a NIGHTMARE .... because you'll have nightmares about catching one on a flyrod for the rest of your life .

And ..... a 50 can and will be caught on the American - sooner or later .

David

JB, It was nice meeting you again last night as well. That is one beautiful fish!!! How did you guys end up doing last night?

Default Steelhead???

Using as much info as is available, I agree with David. That fish is a Steelhead. Spots below the lateral line. genearl shape and the fish jumped when fairly hooked.... King Salmon tend not to jump unless foul hooked....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown