Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Body

Default Extended Body

I was looking at Adam's great pics of the Hex Mayfly and its prominent long and turned up abdomen. This reminded me that I've never tied an 'extended body' type of fly.
    What's the technique used for building one of these? I'm guessing there are a few various approches. I apologize if this perhaps not as specific a question as it should be.
    Thanks...
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

SullyTM Guest

Default Extended body

Digger...one method is to put a nail or needle in the vise, lightly tie in seer hair to cover the entire nail/needle...lightly wrap with thread to cover all of the deer hair and coat with Dave's Flexment..let dry and ta-da! you have an extended body...you can color it with water proof pens. Hope that gets you started. Thom

You could do it that way ..... But you'd have to hope the Seer would stand still long enough and not read what's on your mind .

The Mayor

SullyTM Guest

...that's DEER hair

P.S. You got my vote

Hey , there Birthday Boy - why'dya have to edit your post ?? Now MINE looks funny

Speaking of seers .... I'm so glad fish can't read minds (or fishing books) .

David

Oh , yes .... extended bodies -

Take some Antron , Z-Lon , or like stuff (Lon Chaney ??) , put one end in your vise , and start twistin' .

When it's good and wound-up , put your bodkin or head-cement needle in the middle of said material (underneath , pushing UP-) and relax the tension - it should twist back on itself , forming a furled body . Pinch off as much as ya need , and tye in .

David

Default Seer????

What the h___ is a SEER :P :P :P

If I recall correctly, Partridge or some other company make a hook which extends the hook wire beyond the eye to create a support for an extended body fly.... Not something I subscribe to, tho. It sinks too easily.

My favorite is to tie in a mallard or other duck breast feather by the tips and draw it back to the rear by the stem to make it long/slim. Then I cement the feather to make it stiff. The tips then can become an upright/divided wing if desired.... Of course, there're other feathers that can be used as well....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I of course use my Carpet material, just tie it in near the bend and twist it tight. I then either run a few wraps of thread up and down the extension or apply a little super glue. They are kind of a pain and only really needed when throwing over picky fish in slow water. Haven't done that in a while The Henrys Fork comes to mind
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

SullyTM Guest

Default Seer hair

Mr. Mayor...SEER hair does sound better. Re-edited for those who can read

I've used deer hair myself, but I've seen Hex patterns in Michigan with yellow foam used for an extended body. Here is a link to one that I found on the web just now:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fl...tended_hex.htm
    Don C.