Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July 4th on the American

Default WOW!!!!

Hey David,.... Why doncha tell us how ya really feel :P :P

Valid points, all, concerning the local populace/politico's.....

As an infamous Sacramentan once said (....on this BB I believe), "where's my Bushmills "
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That photo of the take out was unbelievable. The sad thing is I totally believe it. And it is that way everywhere random people traveled or vivsited to celebrate the 4th. Last year I went out on the delta for some fireboat training right after the 4th and I think we ended up hauling about eight bags of garbage out of Skier Beach (a popular spot near Discovery Bay). That was in addition to the all the bags that some other local firefighters were loading onto their own boats. My wife just called and said Folsom Lake was a mess too. Perhaps it can give us some perspective as to what it's like to live in a resort town like Tahoe City or South Lake. Freakin flatlanders. That stuff just chaps my hide. I remember thinking that I loved the river because it seemed to be so much cleaner than the lake, and these people trash it. Well I guess we should get over it and just be thankfull that these people only show up once or twice per year. Everything this region has to offer is what makes it all worth while for me to commute 200 miles to Brentwood and back each shift. There isn't really anywhere else I would rather live. But I totally feel like things could reach a critical boiling point sometime soon. There is almost no precence interms of law enforcement on the AR and I already know of several people who are packing heat along with flies and tippet in their vest. Be safe everybody, and don't let your emotions get the best of you. Take the high road.

That is really sad about the situation on the rivers and lakes. I'm new to this area and was about to go out to fish the AR (wading, no boat yet ) Now I'm having second thoughts. Is it that dangerous that you need to pack heat along with flies? I'm fishing to unwind and relax, not to confront some bozo looking for drug money.

Are there areas that I should definitely avoid as well as areas that are relatively safe?

Bill

Bill go fish the American. Once you get into those shad and hook maybe 20 in an afternoon you won't think about anything but casting that shooting head out there again. Just be smart. Once you gear up, lock all your stuff in the cab of the truck. If you fish late it gets pretty dark in the parking area so bring a small flashlight down to the water with you. Don't leave valuables like wallet etc. in view in the cab of the truck, better yet put it in a plastic ziplock and throw it in your vest. We are blessed here having such a fine fishery running right through town, but the flip side is we are still in the city. Once in awhile there will be a few break-ins, but to tell the truth usually they are reported pretty quickly right here on this board.

Topless women, beer (I hate it when that happens) and exuberant youth....
    That's a recipe for diaster for sure.
    20 yrs ago I would have been in the middle of all that. Glad I grew up (kinda)

I say...David FOR MAYOR!
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Ok, I'm going to try it tomorrow. I got a hall pass from the warden so I have a few hours tomorrow morning. If anyone sees a newbie with a Ping hat on, it'll be me.

BTW,...ummmm where be them there topless women???

Lets hope BILL

'Tis the season
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Apparently, there's discussion of banning alcahol on the American during holidays (4th of July, Memorial Day, etc...). As an excitable 24 year old, I love to drink, but I would be all in favor of this action. It may be a good idea to forward e-mails to the appropriate sources if you feel the same way...

I think they might outlaw alcohol on the Amercian River Parkway?

I think they should outlaw glass containers as well.

Very sad..............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Billpu,

It's not nearly as bad as it may have sounded, I think that some people have had some bad experiences over time. I personally choose to fish areas that are less frequented by the undesireables, and when it's getting late I don't stay out alone. And most of the time when there are a few people fishing late for shad they end up walking out together as a group. I don't know if it's safety in numbers or coincidence. Pay attention to your surroundings as you enter the park and when you leave the car.