Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: July 4th on the American

Smokeater,

What are the areas that are less frequented by the "undesirables"?

Thanks.

Bill

I kind of made a light of the situtation in my earlier post, but this stuff really sucks big time.
    Living here in southern Ca, I guess I see similar disregard for the rivers on a continuous basis. For those who don't know, we actually have a few decent places to fish (even for wild trout) in the near by forests and so called wilderness areas.
    Problem is the lower reaches of these locales always seem to be trashed and often habitated by people that use the river for washing clothes, bathing, etc.

A couple 4th of July's back I tried to fish one of these small rivers, but it really was disheartening to see this kind of disregard and behavior in the water as I hiked past. And even when I was out of sight of the mess, I could still hear the music from the boombox of some foreign tunes, (you know with the accordian) that was far better suited for folks further south of here. Not what I wanted to hear on the 4th.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Default Yeah!!!!!

Hey Digger and others,.... I must, reluctantly, admit that I used to partake of that sort of thing myself and recall several historic parties involving many levels of debauchery, etc..... All of us have, at one point or another. It does seem that the problem is the volume of people doing these things (e.g. more poeple = more trash, etc.)

There is already a partial ban on alcolhol consumption along the river. Certainly is effective, wouldn't you say.... A new ban probably wouldn't be any more effective than the current one. Law enforcement officials have said that it's very difficult to enforce against this type of activity for the reason that the party'll just move to another spot.... Maybe a partial solution is a monetary surcharge on raft rentals or beer sales to pay for clean-up post-party We could all arrange to stay away from the river on those occassions where these activities take place and perform voluntary clean-up activities. Not excluding anyone but clean-up done by groups like us would be better than having our firefighters doing that work.....

Trash can be cleaned up. Bodily harm is another issue. I've heard some horror stories about people brandishing firearms at places like Nimbus Basin and other valley rivers, as well. I've even been in the line of fire at McCann on the Main Eel. There's nothing like dodging stray bullets bouncing around on a rocky river bed. I believe Smokeater is right. Keep a check on your emotions and, for Pete's sake don't carry firearms while out there fishing. Far more firearms incidents occur accidently than by deliberate action. If you don't bring it with you, you won't be tempted to use it.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Agreed, certainly firefighters have higher priorities than cleaning up trash.

Firearms however, I'm more of 'the better to have and not need it, than the other way around' mindset.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Digger.... I threw my first fly rod 19 years ago in the West Fork. I know exactly what you're talking about. The spray paint on the rocks, full size home BBQ's and KFC buckets filled with WASPs will always have a special spot in my heart (along with Devil's canyon).