Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July 4th on the American

Default July 4th on the American

Nice! I cant belive people are this disgusting!!! Sac Fire had to clean up the mess.

Yeah, people suck!! I fished Sunday and had to fish out a beer can floating down the river every 5 minutes and the shore was littered and smelled like beer. I could make a bundle recycling I guess..... but it is truly disgusting.

At least the geese look happy.....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

That is completely DISGUSTING

I cannot stand people who do things like that. They have a total lack of consideration for the ecosystem of the river and other people you use the parks along the river.

Those lazy bastards need to be severely beaten with baseball bats

I know, I know, I didn't bleep out "bastards", but this topic deserves the un-bleeped word.

I get so angry and totally pissed off when I see shit like that

If only there were more DFG wardens and sheriffs patrolling crowds like that. Those lazy polluters should get fined a pretty penny. Hit'em where it hurts, the pocket book.

Sorry to go off guys but I can't help myself when I see messes like that.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

a liter of cola adam ? -- hope your not in a float tube

a liter of cola adam ? -- hope your not in a float tube

From the Sac bee

Sacramento Metropolitan Fire crews loaded up bags of beer bottles, cans and snack wrappers along the American River on Tuesday morning in an effort to clean up after an especially rowdy Fourth of July.
    From 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., 11 firefighters drove rescue boats and cleaned the riverside in places where Sacramento County park rangers have a hard time reaching. They gathered about 25 pick-up truck loads of trash, said Sacramento Fire Capt. Steve Turner.

On Monday along the American River Parkway, Sheriff's officials responded to one melee with pepper-powder balls that flew above the heads of fire officials helping a young woman, who was suffering from extreme intoxication.

Sheriff's records show a total of 28 people were arrested on suspicion of the following charges: 17 people for being drunk in public, four for disorderly conduct, five for driving under the influence, two for assault with a deadly weapon and one for possessing brass knuckles.

Rancho Cordova Police Officer M. Curtis trains a pepperball gun on unruly holiday celebrants in the American River on Monday.

Sacramento Bee/Florence Low

Muddy river brawls erupt
    30 revelers are arrested - part of 'a sea of drunken humanity' along the American River.
    By Andrew McIntosh -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, July 5, 2005
    Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Police arrested 30 people Monday and fired dozens of rounds of pepper-powder balls into brawling throngs of holiday revelers in the American River.
    The drunken, mud-covered brawlers were among more than 10,000 Fourth of July revelers who soaked up the 99-degree heat and lots of beer while making a four-hour rafting trip down the American River.

As officers struggled to maintain control of the crowds, one public safety official called the scene "a sea of drunken humanity."

Most people made the rafting journey without incident, as three helicopters from the California Highway Patrol, Sacramento County Sheriff's Department and Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District flew above to ensure public safety.
    But law enforcement officials spent much of the day trying to maintain order at a tiny island in the middle of the river, a remote spot north of Rancho Cordova's Hagan Community Park. Authorities dubbed it "Gilligan's Island," but revelers called it "Fighters Island."

Disturbances at the site led authorities in 2003 to ban drinking there during summer.

Despite that, thousands of young men and women - about 500 at a time - made pit stops at the thin slice of land, wrestling in mud, drinking and yelling, and watching some women go topless.

More than two dozen Rancho Cordova Police Department officers and Sacramento County sheriff's deputies, joined by emergency personnel from the Metro Fire District, monitored the scene from the nearby shore.

A Bee reporter saw at least six fights erupt on the mini-island and on the nearby shores during a two-hour period in the late afternoon.

Punches were thrown and fighting spread quickly into brawl-like melees. In two instances, men were assaulting each other with rafting paddles.

Each time violence broke out, officers intervened quickly, taking turns firing pepper-powder balls into the crowds of brawlers. They fired the balls from compressed air rifles, aiming low.

The impact of the volleys stunned those fighting, stinging their skin and their eyes. After having ignored early police warnings, they dispersed.

More than 20 revelers were treated on the scene for cuts, scrapes and sprained ankles after slipping and falling in the mud. Six were taken to area hospitals for broken bones, heat exhaustion and consuming too much alcohol.

Sacramento Metro Fire District personnel assisted 25 people on the river, including four who were in serious trouble, spokesman Capt. Steve Turner said.

One of the mud wrestlers was Greg Joyce, 23, of Carmichael.

He had bleeding scrapes and scratches down one side of his torso, but he wasn't angry.

"Everybody thinks it's a bunch of drinking and debauchery, but it's not," Joyce said. "We're all just here to have a good time."

"Look at us," he said pointing to the wrestling, pushing, drinking and yelling going on behind him. "Everyone here is a story. Everyone here is a photo op."

Though he looked like he'd been mud wrestling, Ramon Romero, 21, of Sacramento insists he wasn't.

The psychology major at California State University, Sacramento, brought his 14-year-old brother to the party. They spent the afternoon chatting up women in bikinis.

Brandy Altes, 29, made the river rafting trip with her boyfriend, Eric Walls of Stockton.

"We came out last year, but this is way crazier," said Altes, a Sonoma State University student.

Not everyone enjoyed the carnival atmosphere or violence.

"It's outrageous. People are acting totally crazy," said Tu Xiong, 25, an electrician who lives in Georgia.

Tu is visiting family and friends on a vacation here and the rafting trip was to be a highlight of his journey. He said he was turned off by the thousands of rowdy drunks in the water.

"I'll come back to visit my parents, but I'll probably not go rafting again on the Fourth of July," he added.

About the writer:
    The Bee's Andrew McIntosh can be reached at (916) 321-1215 or amcintosh@sacbee.com.

- Get the whole story every day - SUBSCRIBE NOW!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holiday revelers roughhouse

x - close Recent Stories By Andrew McIntosh

Rancho Cordova Police Officer M. Curtis trains a pepperball gun on unruly holiday celebrants in the American River on Monday.

• See additional images

Sacramento Bee/Florence Low

Muddy river brawls erupt
    30 revelers are arrested - part of 'a sea of drunken humanity' along the American River.
    By Andrew McIntosh -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 2:15 am PDT Tuesday, July 5, 2005
    Get weekday updates of Sacramento Bee headlines and breaking news. Sign up here.

Police arrested 30 people Monday and fired dozens of rounds of pepper-powder balls into brawling throngs of holiday revelers in the American River.
    The drunken, mud-covered brawlers were among more than 10,000 Fourth of July revelers who soaked up the 99-degree heat and lots of beer while making a four-hour rafting trip down the American River.

As officers struggled to maintain control of the crowds, one public safety official called the scene "a sea of drunken humanity."

Most people made the rafting journey without incident, as three helicopters from the California Highway Patrol, Sacramento County Sheriff's Department and Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District flew above to ensure public safety.
    But law enforcement officials spent much of the day trying to maintain order at a tiny island in the middle of the river, a remote spot north of Rancho Cordova's Hagan Community Park. Authorities dubbed it "Gilligan's Island," but revelers called it "Fighters Island."

Disturbances at the site led authorities in 2003 to ban drinking there during summer.

Despite that, thousands of young men and women - about 500 at a time - made pit stops at the thin slice of land, wrestling in mud, drinking and yelling, and watching some women go topless.

More than two dozen Rancho Cordova Police Department officers and Sacramento County sheriff's deputies, joined by emergency personnel from the Metro Fire District, monitored the scene from the nearby shore.

A Bee reporter saw at least six fights erupt on the mini-island and on the nearby shores during a two-hour period in the late afternoon.

Punches were thrown and fighting spread quickly into brawl-like melees. In two instances, men were assaulting each other with rafting paddles.

Each time violence broke out, officers intervened quickly, taking turns firing pepper-powder balls into the crowds of brawlers. They fired the balls from compressed air rifles, aiming low.

The impact of the volleys stunned those fighting, stinging their skin and their eyes. After having ignored early police warnings, they dispersed.

More than 20 revelers were treated on the scene for cuts, scrapes and sprained ankles after slipping and falling in the mud. Six were taken to area hospitals for broken bones, heat exhaustion and consuming too much alcohol.

Sacramento Metro Fire District personnel assisted 25 people on the river, including four who were in serious trouble, spokesman Capt. Steve Turner said.

One of the mud wrestlers was Greg Joyce, 23, of Carmichael.

He had bleeding scrapes and scratches down one side of his torso, but he wasn't angry.

"Everybody thinks it's a bunch of drinking and debauchery, but it's not," Joyce said. "We're all just here to have a good time."

"Look at us," he said pointing to the wrestling, pushing, drinking and yelling going on behind him. "Everyone here is a story. Everyone here is a photo op."

Though he looked like he'd been mud wrestling, Ramon Romero, 21, of Sacramento insists he wasn't.

The psychology major at California State University, Sacramento, brought his 14-year-old brother to the party. They spent the afternoon chatting up women in bikinis.

Brandy Altes, 29, made the river rafting trip with her boyfriend, Eric Walls of Stockton.

"We came out last year, but this is way crazier," said Altes, a Sonoma State University student.

Not everyone enjoyed the carnival atmosphere or violence.

"It's outrageous. People are acting totally crazy," said Tu Xiong, 25, an electrician who lives in Georgia.

Tu is visiting family and friends on a vacation here and the rafting trip was to be a highlight of his journey. He said he was turned off by the thousands of rowdy drunks in the water.

"I'll come back to visit my parents, but I'll probably not go rafting again on the Fourth of July," he added.

About the writer:
    The Bee's Andrew McIntosh can be reached at (916) 321-1215 or amcintosh@sacbee.com.

- Get the whole story every day - SUBSCRIBE NOW!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holiday revelers roughhouse

Default Behavior????

Adam, Adam,... Aaadam.... The last thing you need is more caffiene... No More Cola.... I'd say a few brewski's would be better....
    I share your disgust and "feel your pain"....

The real problem is the complete lack of self discipline on the part of the public (....individuals are intelligent and crowds are made up of ignorant morons ). Maybe the solution is to try to limit access to beer while rafting on the river

County budget considerations contribute to reduced funding of activities like law enforcement (e.g. County Park Rangers and clean-up).... Not sure an increase in Park Ranger numbers would help that much, tho
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Rob thanks for the article.

I am glad to hear that the police/sheriff's were out the in good numbers. Unfortunately they had more important things like crowd control and pepperballing compared to monitoring littering jerks.

I am very happy that the Sac Fire Dept cleaned up the river. If they didn't that trash would have washed down the rest of the river and into the Sac.

As far as my signature is concerned, it is a qoute from a movie I recently watched again, "Super Troopers." Very Funny Movie.

And yes a LITER of beer would have been nice after a sight like that, or maybe not. If I had a liter of brew in me when I saw a junkyard like that more obscenities would have been flying out of my mouth.

Adam Grace

If you REALLY take a close look at what we have here in Sacramento , the situation will seem even worse .

To have a river as beautiful as the American running through the middle of a city of this size is the nicest thing anyone could ever want .... but we have amazing fishing in the A. on top of the beautiful setting .

The flip side is the trash , assaults (sexual or otherwise ) , and total disrespect for nature . I have shared my experences both here and on other forums regarding the madness I've seen on the river ..... I still think that it's going to take someone shooting a 'bad guy' to get through to the powers that be - WE NEED A POLICE-BASED RIVER PATROL - not just on a holiday , but EVERY DAY !

As it stands , I have NEVER seen a cop out there .... only the odd one in the parking lots . Yet on nearly every trip I've taken out there , I've seen , or been in , a situation where the LAW should have been around . The Park rangers are less than worthless , from what I've seen - they are more willing to cite you for having a dog off the leash than to arrrest some punks for rowdy behaviour or being drunk or high . Sooner or later , someone is going to get sick of the confrontations ....

The sad fact is .... we live in a world where apathy is the norm - ALL people who live here should hang their heads in shame at what's happening on the American River Parkway because it's OUR OWN FAULT - We haven't elected a mayor or police chief that has the balls to address the situation - there's always something more important to do w/ the tax dollars , right ? Maybe after a string of rapes out there , or some prick starts a fight w/ the wrong person and pays w/ his life , things will change for the better .....

Disgusting ?? I'd have to say our problem is HEARTBREAKING .

David

Amen Brotha!

Adam Grace